MarcLeonti
MarcLeonti, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Working on motorcycles for 15 years. Worked for dealerships for 5 years, now I run my own shop.
12333077

I have a Sportster 883 and need to charge the battery. I charged

I have a Sportster 883 and need to charge the battery. I charged it for 1 hour with my slow charger and it will crank but turns of in 2 minutes.   Two questions: 1 Do i need to remove the battery from the bike to charge it ?   How long should I charge it ?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  cjstem replied 8 years ago.

How old is the battery?

An older battery's capability to hold a charge gets worse over time to the point where all the charging in the world will not meet the needs of the bike (especially while starting).

Is the bike only running for two minutes or do you mean that after sitting for two minutes the engine will not turn over?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The battery is less than one year old. I crank the bike once a week and let it run for 15 minutes even when I don't ride. When I crank the bike it cranks just fine and then after running for 2 mintues the bike stops and all the lights go off like it died electrically.

I The lights do not show on the tachometer or nothing. I turn the key off and then back on and I get lights and the N shows up and I can crank it. Last for about 2 minutes and its like all electricty shuts off like and the bike stops.

I charged the battery for only 1 hour yesterday and having trouble getting my bike running. I was told today that I need to charge the battery 24 hours. I wish I had a voltage meeter to see if its at 12 volts already.

Its a Motorcycle slow charger ...trickle charger. Not sure whats wrong loooks like electrical and I suspect battery but its only about 9 months old ./..... Hummmmmmmmmm

Ideas ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Well I charged the bike battery for 22 hours on a trickle charge and after that I crank it just fine and it runs for 2 minutes and the entire electrical system and bike goes off turns off completely . The battery is less than a year old so I don't think its the battery unless its loose which I checked and it looks fine.

What would cause it to go off like that all the lights go off and it completely shuts down.

Thanks,

Expert:  MarcLeonti replied 8 years ago.
If you have a charger designed for motorcycle batteries, it's gonna take 24 hours or so to fully charge the battery. A fully charged battery should read 12.8 volts. You do not have to remove the battery from the motorcycle to charge it. Also, a quality motorcycle charger will monitor the battery voltage and turn itself off and on as needed.

As far as your problem with it only running for two minutes then shutting down completely, I don't think it is related to the battery. At first I thought the charging system wasn't working properly, but if you can crank it after it dies, then your charging system is probably okay. If you had a multimeter, you could check this for sure by taking a voltage reading with the bike revved up to a few thousand RPMs. Voltage should be around 14 volts DC.

This problem may be hard to troubleshoot, but in my opinion, I think you may have a bad electrical connection somewhere. A bad electrical connection will generate heat, and heat further increases resistance. I've recently had a machine that had a similar problem and it would only act up after certain wire had heated up. Take your time and look for any bad or corroded wire connections, any bad grounds, or possible melted/cut wires or shorts. This tends to be very time consuming!
MarcLeonti, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Working on motorcycles for 15 years. Worked for dealerships for 5 years, now I run my own shop.