Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.

I need to change out the battery on my 03 dyna low rider.

Customer Question

I need to change out the battery on my 03 dyna low rider. The instructions in the manual contain no visual diagram for the location of the bolt(s) to remove to lift out the battery. Can you supply diagram(s) for the procedure?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  .... replied 8 years ago.
We can not post copyright protected material.

You quite simply need to remove the seat & battery cover then the battery, like 3 bolts plus the battery terminals. Some Dynas have only one bolt & battery box swings open without touching the seat. Some have just a side cover over the battery. Disconnect the batt - first, when connecting connect the + post first.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I already have read those instructions in the manual. The bolt to remove the battery cover cannot be located by myself or by 2 other long time riding motorcycle gentlemen that have experiance working on motorcycles. I appreciate your response but it is no different than what is written in the manual. I am looking for a diagram source of help.
Expert:  .... replied 8 years ago.
Again, no diagrams that are copyright protected can be posted here. The bolt you are looking for for the battery cover is under the battery cover & then the cover hinges up. The last one I took off was dead center under the bottom of it. Some that I have removed were dead center on top of the cover, that was under the edge of the seat & the seat was removed.

You can go to & try to look it up in their parts diagrams but I think they only go up to 02. The motor factory is extremely protective of their proprietary information & little to none of it is available on line. Any diagrams that any of us would have would be from the service manual that hasn't helped you yet.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't want to leave a negative feedback but I don't feel I am any closer to solving my problem than I was before sending out a question. Since I am new to I don't know the process of not accepting the answer and how to close out this question and answer process.
Expert:  .... replied 8 years ago.
I'll just opt out & let someone else help you. Easy enough.
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 8 years ago.
Some bikes have a nut/bolt behind
the battery under the seat
that allows the battery to drop down
so it can be removed.
It is a long bolt. It may be
the type you have there?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have repeatedly ask for diagram info. I don't need verbal directions. It's the same as the manual. Please understand that I am not trying to be difficult but without that info I no longer need to continue with this back and forth verbal question and answer. Therefore I am leaving a negative feedback but not because of poor service. Just that what I need you cannot offer.