...., ....
Experience:  ............

how to change starter in 1990 harley davidson electra glide

Customer Question

how to change starter in 1990 harley davidson electra glide classic
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  .... replied 8 years ago.
Hi Mike,

This is pretty easy, but involves draining & removing the outer primary cover, disconnecting the battery, and getting to the starter mount bolts.

First, disconnect the battery, then drain & remove the outer primary cover. Remove the starter jack shaft assembly, keeping track of the direction of everything.

From the right side of the bike look in to access the starter mount bolts on the transmission boss. Disconnect the battery cable from the starter & the solenoid power wire. You will need a 1/4" allen wrench/socket to remove the starter bolts. Remove the bolts & the starter. Installation is the reverse.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Brian I unbolted the starter but when I tried to pull it out it would not go, do I need to remove the main comver on the left side of the bike where the clutch cover is bolted on, to get to the jack shaft to take it off then the starter will come off.
Expert:  .... replied 8 years ago.
Yes, that is the outer primary cover that you need to drain & remove.

It is also a good time to adjust the primary chain, & check the compensator nut.