RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner

5 star: the type of oil i use 4 my 883 harley sportster i know its

what is the type of oil i use 4 my 883 harley sportster i know its got 2 b non detergent something like 5 star?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 8 years ago.
Let me answer the negative to this question first. What you DON'T want to use is any oil that is advertised as energy saving, energy conserving, or anything remotely related to that general information. The reason you don't want those is they have friction modifiers that will make your wet clutch slip.
You can use any motorcycle oil, preferably in the 20w50 viscosity range. Amsoil makes a good full synthetic, there are a ton of semi synthetics out there, and even good old petroleum based. Castrol Activo is a good synth blend, as is the bel ray V Twin oil. Castrol also makes a good V Twin petroleum based oil.
You can also go with the factory HD oils as well.
As important as putting a premium quality oil in your bike is keeping it clean. Change it on a regular basis.
Amsoil also makes an oil filter that filters down to 10 microns, which is twice as small as the industry standard 20 microns. Using their synthetic oil and their filter, you can double the reccomended oil change frequency, and change only the oil filter at the half way point.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so i take it that this oil is not a 4 stroke oil?
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 8 years ago.
Yes, it is 4 stroke oil, they have sub categories of 4 stroke oil for motorcycles and then sub categories of that for V twins.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 8 years ago.

I need to clarify one thing. The clutch and primary drive and transmission run in their own oil. You can use the Amsoil 20W50 V Twin synthetic in there, or something like Biker's Choice "Sportlube" Sportster trans fluid, Twin Power "Sportlube" available from any motorcycle shop that uses Tucker Rocky as a distributor. The biker's choice pt # XXXXX XXXXX and retails for $3.90 per qt., the Twin Power Pt.# XXXXX XXXXX and retails for $6.53. Bel Ray makes a sport trans oil called V Twin Sport, pt.# XXXXX $8.14, all tucker rocky part numbers and should be readilly available at most any MC retailer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks VP!