RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner

1100 classic: from the Factory and how many quarts..oil change

I own a 2006 Yamaha V Star 1100 classic. What type oil comes in it from the Factory and how many quarts does it take when you do an oil change??
It comes with Japanese oil, but don't worry about that. Use the Yamaha Multi purpose oil when you change your oil. If you live in a hot climate, use 20w50, if you live in a cooler climate, use 10w40. Hot would be anything that gets above 80 degrees or so.
Are you aware of the fact that to change your oil, you have to remove the front header pipe to get to the oil filter?
It takes 3.17 qts to change it. Do not use any oil that says anything like "Energy Conserving II" or higher. Bikes use a wet clutch and those automotive oils have friction modifiers that will make your clutch slip. Stick to the Yamalube, good oil at a fair price that is worry free.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes I understand about the oil filter but I had a External filter put on when i bought this bike, which bypasses the original oil filter.
That was good thinking! It is an expensive accessory but is so nice to work with.