L.W. JENKS
L.W. JENKS, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  OVER 10 YRS. EXPER. IN RACING & MECHANICS (MAINLY ATV'S)
11350451

how do i change brake pads on a 2004 raptor 660

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  L.W. JENKS replied 6 years ago.

There are two bolts that hold the caliper on, remove them first. Then the pads are held i the caliper by two smaller bolts, remove them & the pads will come out. The smaller bolts are commonly called slide bolts. It is always a good idea to clean the slide bolts with a wire wheel & put a dab of grease on them before reinstalling. Clean the slide bolts, then take a pair of pliers & if the piston in the caliper is sticking out squeeze it back in with the pliers. Now install your new pads, reinstall the caliper & you are on your way.

Hope this helps

Thanks

L.W. JENKS, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: OVER 10 YRS. EXPER. IN RACING & MECHANICS (MAINLY ATV'S)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
you mentioned nothing about the bracket holding the caliper on. mine alloys no clearance for the pad!! how do i fix that? the allen bolt is too tight to tighten or loosen

Yes, you need to remove the two bolts on the caliper bracket that is holding it on to the swingarm. If you already the caliper off & can't get the pads in, then a lot of times, you may need to remove the parking brake assy from the caliper, install the pads, then the caliper, then reinstall the park brake assy (if we are talking about the rear) Here is a picture of the parts diagram too, this may help as well

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the pads fit in the assembly, but the bracket (which uses bolts 17 and 18)holding the caliper to the swing arm leaves only 1/16" gap between the outer edge of the caliper and the bracket. is there an adjustment to slide the entire caliper assembly out, to allow more clearance for the outer pad?
I am trying to visualize what you are having problems with. Have you tried to remove the park brake assy from the back of the caliper & then try to put the caliper back on?