RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

How to remove/replace rear tire on 1983 Honda V45 Magna 750

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer
Are you trying to take the rear wheel off and put it back on or get the tire off the rim?
Thanks
RSRBOB
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I should have specified in my question that the issue is that this model is a 'SHAFT DRIVE' and I've never removed a tire from a bike with a shaft drive. It cost $18 to replace a tire off the bike and $55 to drive the bike in for a tire change, so I want to know how to remove the tire and rim from the bike!

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 6 years ago.
Dan,
Thanks for the information. I understand it is a shaft drive bike, but just wasn't sure whether you wanted to take the wheel off or change the tire.
Now that you have specified, let's get on with it.
First, place the bike on the center stand or if it is gone, elevate the rear wheel.
Next, remove the adjuster nut for the brake assembly and the nut and bolt that holds the brake stay arm to the brake backing plate.
Then remove the axle nut and slide the axle out. Depending on whether your exhaust system has been changed or not, you might have to remove a muffler to slide the axle out.
Take the spacer out that is between the brake assembly and the swing arm.
Slide the entire wheel assembly towards the right, it will come off the splines and can then be dropped down and removed from the motorcycle.
The assembly proceedure is the reverse, just remember to grease the splines before reassembly, and when going to align the splines on the wheel with the final drive splines, it may be necessary to put the bike into gear so the final drive doesn't turn as you rotate the wheel to get the splines aligned so the wheel will engage them.

If you have found this information to have answered your question, please click on the green accept button and leave positive feed back.
Thank you,
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience: Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thx very much RSRBOB! I was confident enough to follow your directions and was amazed at how precise [and easy to follow] your answer was. I am pleased with motorcycle.justanswer and will use your services again and recomend them to others!
Customer Rockville IN
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 6 years ago.
I am glad you were able to accomplish your goal and I could contribute to your success.
Thanks for the accept!
RSRBOB