Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.

How do I tighten the drive chain on a honda trx 125 4 wheeler(85)

how do I tighten the drive chain on a honda trx 125 4 wheeler(85)
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 8 years ago.

Even if the chain is loose it still shouldn't come off the sprocket. Either the chain, sprockets or both are worn out. The chain may have a bent link that can also cause that problem. If you can pull the chain up from the rear sprocket then it is worn out.

To adjust your chain look for the chain adjuster on the rear axle. (Part number 3 below.) Loosen the 4 bolts (#15 and #16). Turn your adjuster in until you have about 1 inch of chain freeplay. Tighten the 4 bolts and the jam nut on your adjuster. If you run out of room on the adjuster either your chain is too long or it worn out.

About 1990 they went to an adjuster on each side but it still adjusts the same way.

Let me know if you need any additional information.