Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
7400257

How do I replace a timing chain that has come off the top ...

Customer Question

How do I replace a timing chain that has come off the top spocket on 225cc Yamaha Moto 4 wheeler. How do I put it back on and get it back in correct time.   I can only see one mark on the top sprocket. How to I find top dead center and the compression stroke? Will I have to remove the head to do this? The motor has a removeable civer that exposes the top timing sprocket.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

If your chain came off then you have some problems. Either your chain is shot or the tensioner is bad. Check out both before you put it back together or you will damage your engine when you run it.

You only need to pull the sprocket cover to do the work. You may be able to feed the chain around the sprocket one link at a time by removing the tensioner, or you can pull the sprocket bolt and time it and then put the bolt back in. You have to reset the tensioner in any case or it will be too tight. I am posting a diagram below showing the marks to use. It's for the 200, but the 225 uses the same marks. I have the exact same machine and it's a great ATV. Let me know if you need any additional help.

Doug

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Kawasaki Doug's Post: I have it back on but the chain is very loose. How do I adjust it to remove the slack? Your diagam was very helpful. Do you have one for the tension adjustment?
Thanks Tim
Expert:  Doug E. replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tim,

Pull the tensioner off so you can inspect it. It may have broken or just be stuck. When you have it out the pin should push all the way out and you should not be able to push it back in. If you can, it's bad and must be replaced. If the pin doesn't push out all the way (it has a stop built-in and will come out all the way until it hits that) it is either stuck or the spring inside is broken.

There are two styles and I am not near my machine so I can't remember which one that model uses. One has a very short bolt on the tip. You pull that and insert a thin flat blade screw driver and rotate the adjuster to back off the tension so you can push the plunger back in. The other style has a ratchet type plunger and you push the little catch to release it so it will go back in. Once you take it off you will be able to see how to reset it. I'm going to redo my drawing and add that information for future use so thanks for bringing that up.

Be sure to set your valves as long as you are working in that area. They adjust when at TDC. I would also check the compression once you are done. That will tell you if any damage was done to the valves when it jumped time. If damage was done, you will need to replace the bent valve. I would also replace the chain and tensioner to prevent it happening again. I think they make an aftermarket chain that has a master link in it so you don't need to even touch the lower end. Just connect the new chain to the old and feed it around the crankshaft sprocket.

Doug