....
...., ....
Experience:  ............
4419077

I have an oil leak in the sidecase of my 2002 fatboy..small leak

I have an oil leak in the sidecase of my 2002 fatboy. It appears to be a small leak on the left side. Is that someone I could fix myself?
Are you referring to your primary case?

Where is the oil "... around the gasket on top"?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: `It is the primary case. The oil on the top is on the black portion of the main case but it is very faint and almost looks like a wet mark. I can wipe it of but it will appear again after a few days. It looks like its coming from around the gasket.
Sounds like your primary bolts are loose. If you have oil on top of the case the bolts are not tight. Usually once oil gets passed the gasket it won't seal tight again. The gasket is easy to replace. Drain your primary, remove the center inspection cover, remove the outer primary cover, replace gasket, re-install cover, add fluid, re-install inspection cover & go for a leak free ride.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: I did check the tightness of the bolts holding the primary cover on. They did appear to be tight. If I replace the gasket, is it necessary to put anything on the gasket, (leak tight, gasket seal, etc.). Or is it OK to just replace the gasket as is.
The new HD gasket are awesome & need nothing on them. It is recommended against putting sealers on them & for once I agree with the Motor Factory.