TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.

i have a 2003 honda rincon 650, and my problem is that when ...

i have a 2003 honda rincon 650, and my problem is that when i go to use my machine the reverse gear does not engage.all i hear is grinding when i try to put it in gear. forward works fine.what could be my problem, and what do i do to fix it . i noticed the shifting cable and i located it on the rear of the engine. it looks like it is adjustable, but i don't think that will fix my problem. i also found out that my transmission has a torque converter, so i was wondering if it was an issue of low oil or poor syncronization?

Adjust the shift cable. This atv is very sensitive to cable adjustment; too far in one direction and it will not stay in reverse, too far the other way and it will not stay in forward. I have never seen a problem inside the transmission on this model.

If this answer was helpful please click accept and leave positive feedback.