....
...., ....
Experience:  ............
4419077

How to replace primary cover for 1997 Harley Davidson ...

How to replace primary cover for 1997 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200, and details about the removal of clutch cable and timing chain adjuster bolt as well?
The inside or outside cover?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: Just the outside one, I am replacing it with a chrome one.
For the outside one you need to drain the oil, loosen the cable adjustment all the way out, remove the shifter lever, foot peg and inspection cover, remove the cover bolts & remove the cover. You will then see how the clutch cable attaches to the ramp & unscrews from the cover. Installation is the reverse, use a new gasket & blue thread locker on the cover bolts.

As far as adjusting the primary chain loosen the center nut slightly and tighten the chain to about 1/2"-9/16" of deflection at the center of the chain. There isn't a timing chain.

If you are going to do any service or parts upgrades yourself, I highly encourage you to purchase a factory HD Service Manual and a Parts Manual. Those books are priceless.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: I have all the bolts out, the derby off, and still she don't seem to want to loosen up and pop off. I was thinking the adjuster bolt could be stopping it. Then, something you wrote made me think? I do not have the clutch lever off, is this stopping the primary cover from coming off?
I have forward controls so taking that one bolt out was a breeze? I have stuck my fingers in the holes and pulled pretty hard, so I just felt like there was something I was not taking off, like that adjuster bolt or something?
Should I just keep pulling on the cover to get it to pop loose?
I forgot, you also need to remove the clutch adjuster from the center of the clutch hub. I had to look it up, the Manuals pay for themselves quick like. The primary adjuster only puts tension on that chain.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: How does that clutch adjuster come off? Any advice would be appreciated.
Loosen the lock nut, loosen the adjuster 1/2 - 1 full turn, remove the retaining ring & out it comes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX 15 to the bonus of the normal fee for all the trouble.
All The Best Regards,
Danny
Hi Danny,

No trouble at all, that's what we're here for, correct detailed answers for you guys. Thank you for the bonus, I greatly appreciate it.