....
...., ....
Experience:  ............

Drum brakes..disc brakes..my 1972 Harley-Davidson Ironhead Sportster

How do i convert the rear drum brakes to disc brakes on my 1972 Harley-Davidson Ironhead Sportster.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bill's Post: Ok, I appreciate the answer, however i would like to know maybe if there is any way that you can let me know How i would change it, as far as how would i modify it. The process it would take to modify it. If at all possible. If you don't know, thats cool. I appreciate the help anyway. But if you know any tricks that could help. The motor is a 72 XLCH, the frame is a 73 Sportster, and has a swingarm. If that helps give anymore of an idea. This is my first bike ever, and I'm rebuilding the motor, and starting from the ground up. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  .... replied 6 years ago.
Hi Mac,

Unfortunately that will be quite the undertaking as the most important part in making a rear disc brake work is the anchor to the swingarm that is necessary. Other issues that you are going to encounter are like Bill mentioned, the fact that it is a sporocket drive/brake hub assembly, you would need a newer disc equipped wheel that is probably a pulley drive set up, therfore creating the need for a front pulley coversion or a rear wheel sprocket conversion.

Wheel diameter, width & axle size are your issues to overcome when searching for a wheel to fit, then you need to work in the sprocket conversion as well as mounting the caliper and the anchor. It's doable but it will require quite a bit of time & enginuity to get it mounted properly. I haven't done one of these as I mostly light Ironheads on fire, so
I can't say do, this & this & this, and ultimately it depends on your donor wheel & the brake caliper you are going to use.

I can point you in the right direction, if you have more questions let me know.
...., ....
Experience: ............
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
awesome, i would definitely like to know how, while i have the time and money to do it. So yeah, i would def like to be pointed in the right direction. Thank you for your help.