Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.

I have a 2004 skidoo 600sdi. Its been in the shop for 2 ...

Customer Question

I have a 2004 skidoo 600sdi. Its been in the shop for 2 weeks. Tack doesn''t work. all the dash lights flash after starting, then when running none work. When shut off, the speedo tries to go below 0. It doesn''t seem to be charging. They replaced the battery, stator, voltage regulator, wiring harness, tack, speedo, computor,dss plug and its the same thing. Now the shop is giving it back cause they have given up. They have given me the old stator and it is cracked and has visual burn marks inside. Surely theres an answer. Please help me...
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

What happened before these problems started? Was the machine dropped in the lake or in an accident? Was any work done on this sled before these problems started? Have you owned this machine since new? If not, how long have you ridden it? Any information you can provide may help. Thanks.

Doug

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Honestly I just bought it. It was a friend of the dealer and he assured me it would be okay. I don't know much about the history other than its been looked at by another skidoo dealer and he couldn't figure it out either. He has offered me my money back for the machine but the price is $2500 cheaper than a similar one and I'm sure it can be fixed. The skidoo dealers available to me are a little old school and I don't think they are electrical experts. I am an electrician and work with computer automation and I'm sure I could find it if I new the readings I should be getting.
Looking at the stator it obviously got very overheated due to something. The skidoo appears to be in good condition except all the suspension wheels have been changed. It works excellent untill the battery dies. (about 30 minutes)
I'm assuming the tack runs off the stator so if the stator doesn't work... There are three yellow wires going to the stator.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 6 years ago.

I would love to get my hands on this sled. These are the kinds of projects I enjoyed working on. I'm limited not being able to be hands on, but will give you what help I can. It's a major problem not knowing the history of the sled because I think the key to solving this quickly is there.

Being an electrician, you are already ahead of the game. I'm going to try and find a manual to e-mail you but will give you the basics of snowmobile electrical theory to get you started. I would ignor any previous repairs and treat this as a new problem. Assume that nothing was done or that it was done wrong and you will not overlook anything.

If your battery goes dead, clearly the charging system isn't working. The tach does run directly off of the stator so that is an indication of a failed stator. The needle on the speedo going below zero is an indication of a direct short, probably in the stator.

The stator is A/C voltage. The voltage should be 40-70 VAC from the three yellow wires. Test each wire to another and to ground. (I don't have the specs for your machine, but will try and have them by morning for you.) Look for open or shorted wires. Warm up the motor, then test again. Compare the readings.

At the battery you should have battery voltage at idle and 14.5 volts DC at around mid throttle.

It's normal on sleds for part of the system to be AC and part to be DC. Snowmobiles in general are the most backward wired machines on the planet.

My gut tells me there is a short in the stator or a broken ground on the stator plate. One of the wires coming out of the stator is a ground. Check that. Also check all of the grounds on the machine. The most important is the one from the motor to chasis. Make a new one if you think it's needed. Arctic Cat used to hook 5 ground wires up to the battery. I used to ground those to the motor and run just one large one from the battery to that post. Trying to get a good connection with a handfull of wires just didn't seem like a good plan to me! Let me know what you find from your tests and inspection and I'll work on getting you a wiring diagram and detailed test specifications.

Doug

Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience: Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's some great stuff, thanks. I'll check those numbers and let you know. Now you have me curious about some other things.
1. What converts the 40 to 70 VAC to 14 VDC? What protects the computer from overvoltage? Is this all the voltage regulator?
2. If the tach is running off the stator is it AC or DC?

I also suspect the shop replaced the stator with a used unit. I am sure it was tested but maybe it's from a different machine. The first one, which I have, is visibly defective.
Also with the speedo and its flashing idiot lights on a proper running machine I have noticed the idiot lights come on for the same length of time at startup but do not flash on and off. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to work on the machine until Thursday but I will let you know as I am sure you are curious too!
Thank you very much for your help
Kevin
Expert:  Doug E. replied 6 years ago.
I'll get you the diagrams and stuff as soon as I can. In the mean time to answer your questions. There is a regulator that converts AC to DC. The tach runs off AC directly from the stator coil.

Bench testing of stator coils is almost useless unless it has a broken wire. I always test them cold and hot. Replacing the stator coils can be tricky. If the solder job was sloppy or a wire got pinched, it isn't going to work. They don't give you much room to work. The detail needed is more similar to the type of elecrtical work you do on computers.

Your EFI computer must be DC driven or it would have been fried by now. In general, sleds with batteries use the battery to power the EFI computer. Those without are powered directly from the stator. Some have a seperate stator coil just to power the computer. I'll know more when I pull up the diagrams today.

Doug
Expert:  Doug E. replied 6 years ago.
OK, I'm going to start posting stuff on here for you.
graphic

2.

graphic

3.
graphic

4.
graphic

This is the link to what the numbers mean. I couldn't get it scanned so you will have to download it.
http://www.moto-forge.com/mf/Wiring.doc

Doug
Expert:  Doug E. replied 6 years ago.
Stator specs.

Yellow to yellow = 3.5 ohm
Yellow to brown = 3.5 ohm

Is there any oil on the stator? I understand there was a problem with oil leaking from the stator bolts or crankseal and getting on the stator causing it to fail.

Doug