Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.

my 99..regulator..My brake light, tail light and headlights dont work.

Customer Question

After running my 99 skidoo 500 grandtouring for hours with a dead battery, my lights don''t work anymore. I changed my regulator/rectifier and still no lights. My brake light, tail light and headlights dont work.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 8 years ago.

I'm thinking you already checked the fuse, but check that first of course. Next, connect a volt meter to your battery. With the rear of the sled in the air start the motor with the meter connected. It should read battery voltage at idle and go up to 14.5 volts at around 4000 rpm. If so, your charging system is good and the problem is in your wiring or fuses. If not, you need to test the stator at the wiring coming out of the motor. This will be a test between the two wires and should be a minimum of 50 volts A/C. If not, your stator charging coil has left this world and needs to be replaced.

Let me know what you find so I can get you back on the snow.