Motorcycle Tech
Motorcycle Tech, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Motorcycle Tech
7678406

2 stroke motors and they both sputter at high rpms and they..low rpm

Customer Question

I have two Yamaha pw80 yzingers and both are 2 stroke motors and they both sputter at high rpm''s and they both spit out alot of unburnt oil out of the spark arrester. they both run good at low rpm''s I have changed the plugs and also went to a hotter heat range plug and no change in the problem. I don''t where to start to fix the problem. thanks
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Motorcycle Tech replied 8 years ago.
You could have a pluged EX Pipe Silencer ... they plug up with carbon real fast ... there should be a small screw in the bottom of the pipe at the end .. remove this and pull the Silencer out and clean it ........also some PWs had a rev limiter in the EX pipe....just where it bolts the the Head ..its a small washer with a small hole in it ...restricting the flow of EXhaust .... removing the washer can help... but I would go back to the cooler plug if this is the case...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Harley Tech's Post: The first thing I did was to pull out the sparkarester and cleaned it and no change in problem then I changed the spark plug and no change..I took the pipe off and there is no washer just an exhaust gasket. So I took off the pipe on my other pw80 and there is no washer I cleaned the pipe of all unburned oil and reassembled it and no change in problem.. So I guess I'll have to wait for my manual to troubleshoot this proublem or figure out some way to disengage the rev limiter or something..    thanks for your help anyway..
Thank You for using JA