Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.

how to disassemble the diamond drive from the ...

Customer Question

how to disassemble the diamond drive from the front shaft on a 2005 arctic cat zr900 snowmobile
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 8 years ago.

Are you talking about removing the lower drive shaft, the one at the front of the track?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Kawasaki Doug's Post: yes, split it from the diamond drive.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 8 years ago.
OK, I've never heard it called that before. Must be a Canadian term. (Happy boxing day by the way.)

To remove the lower shaft you will need to remove the rear suspension from the machine. Drain the oil from the chaincase and remove the chaincase cover. Lock the parking brake and remove the upper and lower shaft nuts. Back off the tensioner and slide the chain and sprockets off the shafts. (Sometimes you can get by by doing only the lower one, but not often.)

On the opposite side of the frame, remove the shaft end cover. Crawl under the machine and lossen the locking collars from the shaft bearings. (There may only be one, but most machines have one on each side of the shaft.)

Now the shaft will slide free and come out of the machine. Replace it and reverse the proceedure.

Note: When removing the chaincase cover you will often have stuff in the way. If you have electric start, the battery will be there. Some exhaust canisters are in the way also.
Good luck, it takes time and often a good first aid kit for that job.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for the info but that is still the old style arctic cat. We are talking about an 2005 ZR900 machine with diamond drive. See if you can help us with that
Expert:  Doug E. replied 8 years ago.
I opened this back up to other mechanics being I didn't get it right. The ACT drive needs a couple of special tools to work on and you need to replace the retainer nut each time it's removed. I have the parts book but don't have the service manual on this and I left Arctic Cat just before these came out so I never got to work on one. Let's hope another mechanic can jump in here and fix my error.