sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2004 mitsubishi eclipse gts. The problem I'm having

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2004 mitsubishi eclipse gts. The problem I'm having is that the cooling fans sping at a low speed and the car get a little to hot when standing still. If I trun the ac on then they spin a lot faster and the temperature goes down. Is that normal or is the fan module malfunctioning.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?
Customer: 98k and yes the coolant is good.
JA: Are you fixing your Eclipse yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The previous owner put a aftermarket mishimoto radiator in a atemp to fix the problem is guess.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Marc Zerbin replied 2 months ago.

Hi Thank you for your question. I am happy to help. Is the engine light on does the cooling temp gauge go higher then normal?

I can tell you as an AC expert that the cooling fans will cycle on and off on high while ac is on. This is normal and it is lower the temperatures/pressures of the refrigerant.

Thanks,

Marc

If the cooling fans stay on constantly this is how you diagnose a faulty fan controler. Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The fans come on and off but like I said before the only spin fast when the ac is on, otherwise the sping way to slow. I leave in miami Florida and it gets really hot sometimes. The temperature goes from 1/2 to 3/4 and I think it should go from 1/4 to 1/2 and back down again. How can I make that happen?

I see. It is possible the gauge or the sensor is not reading right. I have attached some documents that sound like your situation. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Marc

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe the censor and the gage are working correctly. When the temperature goes up I can smell the coolant. I owned different cars before and I worked on them doing big jobs like replacing head gaskets. My point is do have a little knowledge and I know for a fact this car is running to hot sometimes. I need for the fans to sping faster with the ac off. Is there a chance the fans control might be faulty?

Yes it that is possible. Thats all the info I am able to get. If you need more. I will opt out and let another mechanic help you with more info.

Thanks,

Marc

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?