sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander, awd, auto 2.4L. The SRS

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander, awd, auto 2.4L. The SRS light is on, how can I diagnose the problem and repair it to get rid of the warning message?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

When the SRS light comes on the system will set and store a B code. In order to know what is failing you are going to need to start first with scanning the system and retrieving the fault code and or codes. If you can get this done and post back with them I can direct you from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I get these codes, I have an Innova 3140 device but not sure if srs codes can be read
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Most code readers will not retrive these codes, you are going to need access to a full Mitsubishi compatible scanner to access the B codes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is the only thing I can do? Honestly how many neophytes will have a SRS scanner? You act like its a simple thing to do.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Its not a simple thing at all and with out knowing the fault code and or codes anything I tell you would be a guess at best. Ill open the post back up for you and perhaps some one else has what you need.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What would be more helpful is to be a more can do type of tech, most people dont have access to srs readers but after researching there are ways to retrieve these codes themselves with a paperclip. This type of thing can do expertise would be very helpful to the general public
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

As mentioned reading fault codes from the airbag module on this vehicle requires a capable scan tool or code reader, there isn't a way to read the fault codes with a paperclip. The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to read the fault codes and then it will require electrical testing from that point. An airbag system load tool may be needed to simulate components for testing. Due to the dangers and complexity of the system if you don't have the proper tools and training it may be best to seek professional help in person.