Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Drive line vibration at 60 to 67 miles per hour. Transfer

Customer Question

Drive line vibration at 60 to 67 miles per hour. Transfer case lever has vibration when pulled sideways against seat.
JA: What is the model of your '60 Mitsubishi?
Customer: 04 montero sport
JA: Are you fixing your Montero Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, drive shafts replaced along with cv bearings
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Vibration slows with car out of dr. Along with deceleration of car speed not engine. This is felt in transfer case shift lever.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: The other vibration changes during engine rev. 60 -67 mph. Original trans. Just started rear transfer case output seal seapage. Suspect drive shafts vibration
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 9 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. My name is ***** ***** here to help you. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I may help you better. Drive train issues can sometimes be difficult to diagnose because noise and vibrations travel but we can give it a good old college try.Is there any noise associated with the vibration? Where do you mainly feel this vibration, in the steering wheel or your seat? Does the vibration go away if you go over that speed of 67MPH?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No noise during 60 - 67 vibration. It is felt in the drive line / engine not steering and is not real obvious. It goes away over 67 and can show up at 80 plus. not worried about that however. This has been there since I purchased 7 years ago. I can feel a definite vibration when I put pull the transfer case shift lever towards driver seat in the lever, it stays constant with the vehicle speed. Not sure if the same vibration or not, this weekend transfer case rear output shaft seal started leaking. Its a shot in the dark I know... thought someone may have had the same issue and had answers. Think its taken a wack in the drive line and have a slightly bent something or failing bearing.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 8 days ago.

Sounds like it may be the drive shaft is out of balance or may have a joint starting to bind up. there is a way to balance your drive shaft yourself . one is the use of a strobe light tool the other is the old school way trial and error. I'll give you both and notice the video one what you should check before tempting to balance ; check the u joints first and run out.

You will need several deferent weights, can be pieces of drive shaft, sheet metal, etc., atleast 3 hose clamps, and an um balanced drive shaft.

1) Put all 4 corners of axles up on jack stands (no not 2, but all 4--- don't need a faulty transfer case moving the Jeep)

2) Remove wheels

3) If doing rear drive shaft, remove drum brakes to avoid interference

4) Put transfer case in part time (just to avoid damage)

5) Remove front drive shaft (or rear if doing front)

6) Mark drive shaft every 25*, numbering the positions 1-4. Do this at the end near the transfer case, the part in front of the slip shaft, and in front of the yoke going to the rear deferential.

8) Start car, let it idle down, and put it into drive (WHILE PERFORMING THE BALANCING, DO NOT TOUCH THE BRAKE PEDAL. PUT A BRICK UNDER IT IF YOU MUST). Slowly climb in speed... noting where vibes are most prevalent.

7) Staring at the first set of 1-4 marks, find the position and weighs that minimizes vibes (you may not need weights at this place). Secure weights with a hose clamp.

8) Work your way down the drive shaft until vibes are minimized. You may not be able to get rid of 100% of the vibes while on the jack stands, but you also may not feel them on the road.

9) After you are finished mark where the weights are and either have the weights welded on or tighten down hose clamp. Do not remove weights.

It took me about 3 hours to do this, but I am 100% free of vibes.

If the seal is leaking in the output shaft of the transfer case it may be an indicator that bushing may be worn so check that for play as well. hope this gives you some ideas where to start to find your problem. good luck. If your happy with my service please take the time to rate me ,thank you and see you soon.