Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi to sport LS 3.0L. AWD. I just

Customer Question

Hello Doug. I have a 2002 Mitsubishi monte to sport LS 3.0L. AWD. I just completed the front end break calipars. When I turned on the truck I noticed a very high idle. A steady 2500 rpms. Even when it reached normal temp it still read 2500 rpms. What could be causing this high rpm? Someone told me a fuse but have no clue? I have no engine check light.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 10 days ago.

A fuse shouldn't really do this, not without other complications anyway. Did anything else get done besides the front calipers, even if it seems unrelated?

Typically a high idle like that is going to be a vacuum hose knocked off primarily, then less likely things afterward (failed IAC valve, jumped time, etc).

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
OH ! I forgot to mention that the system has not been bled yet. I wil do this tomorrow. I did clean EGR valve it was pretty gummed up. And did install it back on. That's it!
Expert:  Doug replied 10 days ago.

No problem.

The bleeding won't be an issue, however the EGR valve definitely will. When you took it off for cleaning, did you replace the gasket? If so, did you grind the old gasket material off first too (they use a sticky fiber gasket that leaves remnants all over the surfaces)?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No I just cleaned surface and installed it back on. I guess maybe the. Old gasket is not good to reuse.
Expert:  Doug replied 10 days ago.

Yeah the old gaskets usually tear apart (as they stick to both sides). You can sometimes reuse them, but less often than not.
Do this.... start the engine and let it idle (well, "run" anyway). Then take some brake cleaner or carb cleaner and spray it around the EGR valve mounting area... does the engine speed change?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will have to get back to you on that, since I'm not home now. But I will try, will order a new gasket for EGR. They are cheap. Thanks Doug You have a great thanks giving and fam.
Expert:  Doug replied 10 days ago.

No problem at all. Be sure to get both sides real clean, and do not use any sealant on the gasket. The gasket should be either flat metal or fiber metal... do not use a paper gasket, it won't work.
That will likely fix you all up, just make sure your hoses are all intact too back there of course.
If I can do anything for you in the future, just let me know, and happy thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

Expert:  Doug replied 10 days ago.

Good luck!