Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2010 Mitsubishi MM Triton and have had to replace

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Mitsubishi MM Triton and have had to replace the etacs unit and need to reprogram the keys. All the info I have Goggled says to bridge pin 1 to earth (pin 4) to enter program mode. Trouble is the diagnostics plug doesn't have a wire to pin 1 (or most of the other pins).
Any advice on the correct method for my vehicle?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 13 days ago.

That method is not relevant for your 2010 model.

and by "program the keys" I am assuming your referring to programming the remotes for the doors?

That being the case 2007 and up year models require at least 1 working remote in order to program additional remotes because the anti-theft system is always armed unless the FOB is used to disarm it prior to programming. Since you replaced the ETACS and none of the FOB's work then you cannot program the remotes yourself, you will need a locksmith or the dealer who has a scan tool with Mitsubishi KOS programming capability.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Jake,
Something does not appear correct with your response. After changing the ETACS the vehicle starts fine and drives fine without any issues with the anti theft system. The only thing that is not working now ( all the other issues I had have now been rectified by changing the ETACS) is the remote locking from the key still doesn't work. My understanding is that the key now has to be re asscociated with the ETACS for it to work. That is the procedure I am looking for.
I thought Doug was going to respond to the question when I paid for this service, is that not the case? Only reason I ask is that of all the searching I have done on the net he seemed to be the only one to have a handle on how this system all works, which is why I paid for the service. Having said that if you can help me with an answer other than go to the dealer and get the problem solved I would be happy. Hope to here back from one of you soon.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The issues I had which required the change out of the ETACS was the hazard lights operating continuously, not central locking and no remote locking via the key remote. All the issues except the key remote are now ok after swapping out the ETACS.
Expert:  Jake replied 12 days ago.
Hey there, I know Doug personally but he hasn't been able to get on the site much lately, but I can agree with you that he is the best Mitsubishi technician that uses this site.There is not an actual problem with the alarm itself in the 07+ models, just the fact that the procedure calls for the disarm with the working FOB as the initial step for programming he remotes and NEITHER of yours are programmed at this point so I am not sure how that would be possible aside from using a proper scan tool.This is a regular key system I assume? Not a keyless push start that only requires the key on your person?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Jake,
The system is a regular key system with a remote for the central locking built into the key.
As far as the disarm goes I assume that you are talking about disarming the anti theft system. As per the reply yesterday, the anti theft is clearly disarming as I can start and run the vehicle, the only thing I can't get to work is the remote central locking, so I just need to reassociate the ETACS to the key to allow the remote central locking to work.Can you please read the response here http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/c5d79272f01e4a098d2f9a0231cf3392 where Doug explains it and is why I went for Doug originally, because they way he has described how things work is what I have experienced in changing out the ETACS. The only problem I have with following Dougs recommendation, as per the original request, is that diagnostics plug on my vehicle does not have a wire to pin 1 to allow me to follow the procedure he has described (in fact there are wires to only about a 1/3rd of the pins) so there is something slightly different on my vehicle for some reason.
Expert:  Jake replied 12 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** very aware of that process but that's pre-2007 models. It's different for 07+ and you don't use the DLC at all in the programming unless your using a scan tool.

Expert:  Jake replied 12 days ago.

This is the process for any anti-theft equipped 07+ model with the regular key.

1. Press Unlock button on working key remote
2. in 4 to 10 seconds time, press lock button on working key remote
3. Press unlock button again within 1/2 second of releasing lock button
4. Press the lock and unlock button of the non-working remote for 1 or more seconds
5. Release buttons at the same time, and push unlock button in 1/2-1 second after releasing.
6. Repeat steps 4-5 for next key remote
7. Programming mode will end in two minutes of inactivity or starting of engine.

Expert:  Jake replied 12 days ago.

I'd be happy to message Doug for you if you would like, I just can't guarantee whether or not he will respond as I have seen him on lately.

Just let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Jake, Can you try and contact Doug and confirm, there is too much contradictory information on some of this stuff out there on the net and some of it is with you guys (justanswer), like example of the conversation in the link I sent you previously. The whole point of me contacting you guys in the first place was to try and save a few bucks. I have already had a quote to have the keys re-linked to the ETACS with the local Mitsubishi dealer, and if all the help you guys can provide is to go to the dealer, all I have done is nearly doubled the cost so I am not really happy having to pay for your advice.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 days ago.

I'm sorry, he hasn't been on in 3 months now.

Wish he was available.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
where to from here. I don't feel like paying the full 50 odd bucks for the information I have received so far, but I also don't want to dupe you of something for your time or give you a negative review to get my money back. You have responded in good faith.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 days ago.

I appreciate your concern and I do generally tell customers they are paying for professional advice. Whether or not the outcome determined is what they want to hear, we have to give honest information to remain professional. The experts rating should be based off their knowledge of the problem at hand and what they did to resolve it as best they could over the net.

For what it's worth though, if your unsatisfied with the service you don't have to rate poorly to try and avoid paying. If you want I can send it to customer service as a request for a refund. I wouldn't get credit for my time, but at least we would leave on good terms should you need help in the future.

Just let me know! cheers.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Appreciate that Jake. If you could arrange a refund that would suit fine.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 days ago.

not a problem.

thanks.