Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2002 Montero Sport that I just replaced the timing

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Montero Sport that I just replaced the timing belt. I mistakenly lined up the crank 10 degrees before TDC when I initially put it on and started it up. It started up fine, but was running rough and had a hard time idling. Once I figure it out I realigned the timing belt correctly and restarted, but still the same problem of running rough and hard time idling. I triple checked the timing belt alignment and it is fine. There are no codes and I cleaned out the air intake as the battery was disconnected. I also changed the gas as it was sitting for over one year. Any ideas? I think the belt was off one tooth, maybe two. It was running fine before it was parked. Could a valve be damaged and causing the misfire? The lifters are a little noising, but based on what I read, due to the car sitting for over a year. Could they be causing the problem?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The motor is the 3.0
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 22 days ago.

The first thing you need to do will be to pull all the plugs and check the spark plugs. If the plugs look good, do a compression test on all 6 cylinders and post the pressure readings for each cylinder so I can see what the engine is doing please. I need to know the exact pressure for each cylinder so wright down the readings as you take them please.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Will do. The Intake Manifold has to be removed to get at the spark plugs, correct?
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 22 days ago.

Yes the intake will have to be removed to get to them.