Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My 2004 endeavor is spaying coolant all over engine, also

Customer Question

My 2004 endeavor is spaying coolant all over engine, also overheats rapidly, even when the car is in motion. What is my problem (s)? please help
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 25 days ago.

Are you able to get any indication of where the coolant is coming from? Until the source is determined it is hard to say the relation to the over heating (As it could be over heating due to the leak, or pushing out under stress due to over heating).

For example, if you look in the fan shroud, is there coolant in the radiator core fins?

How about any dried splatter around the hoses?

When the engine runs is there a drip or stream, or does it have to get hot first then it becomes evident?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
There is no splatter on the fins of the fan there's plenty all over the hoses and on top of the engine cover plastic and under side of the hood
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The radiator cap is loose it seems like there is some play and most of the leakage and spray is coming from the bottom seal of the cap
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The temperature does go down after I put coolant but of course once I start driving around the block to test it after a few blocks the amount it leaks out and dries up and starts heating up slowly
Expert:  Doug replied 25 days ago.

I apologize for the delay, I had stepped out on a break.

Looking at the front of the radiator by the cap/neck there is a raised area of the tank, do you see any cracking there... not necessarily huge breaches, but obvious stress cracks of any size?