sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2007 Eclipse Spyder. The convertible top is not

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, good evening! I have a 2007 Eclipse Spyder. The convertible top is not working correctly. I have an OBD2 adapter and verified the ECU is throwing DTC error code B1300. The same code is thrown even after unhooking the battery or operating the top manually. The code B1300 refers to a "Topstack Switch" but I can't figure out exactly what the Topstack Switch is or where it's located. Can you help?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: About 54,500 miles on the car.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder
JA: Are you fixing your Eclipse Spyder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I am doing this on my own.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I hope the mechanic knows what a topstack switch is!
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello, any update?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would really like to get some guidance on my topstack switch please!
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

B1300 is in the numerical range of top microswitches but does not show to be a valid code for the vehicle described. Most microswitch related codes are caused by failed switches however.

There may be a compatibility issue with whatever was used to read the code and it was not displayed correctly or it may have simply been a typo. Can you double check the code?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for the response!I am using a bluetooth-enabled OBD2 adapter which is paired to my Galaxy smartphone. I'm using the app "Torque" (paid version) to read the diagnostic code. I've had good success with this adapter and this software in the past, using it on multiple vehicles.I have double-checked the code, and today a different code is being returned - now I am getting B1326.After reviewing this Technical Service Bulletin:
http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/Eclipse%20TSB/tsb0742a010.pdfI checked the manufacture date for the Spyder, which was Sept 2006, thus I believe code B1326 indicates an issue with the Tonneau sensor. Would you agree?If that is correct, do you believe the issue is with the sensor itself, or the wiring? I am going to investigate further...Thanks again for any guidance that you can provide!

This code is indeed for the tonneau latch switch circuit and could be a switch wiring or connection issue but is almost surely the switch itself.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My vehicle was manufactured in Sept 2006, therefore there are two tonneau latches (LH + RH). Each latch has 2 sensors, and I believe they indicate "Ready to Latch" and "Latched". Additionally, according to the wiring diagrams there is also a hall sensor labeled "Tonneau Latch Open Sensor", although I am unclear exactly where this is located. I have located the other 4, but need guidance on the location of this 5th sensor.Can you describe the process I should use to test the sensors? I'm guessing that only one is causing the problem.In addition to the tonneau latch switches, there is another sensor located on the hydraulic arm that actually raises the tonneau (I believe this is a hall sensor). I'm assuming this is monitoring the position of the tonneau. I want to confirm that this sensor is not the issue, and that I should be focused on the latches.Thanks so much for your assistance!

I'm a full time tech and at work this afternoon, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can!

The sensor is on the cylinder that controls the latches, the switches are on the latches. This code sets when the switches and sensor do not agree.

Are you able to monitor the live switch and sensor data?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
By default, the app is not able to read the sensor data for the latches. I believe it is possible if I can determine the PID used to capture that sensor data. I'm investigating...

Let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
far, I have been unsuccessful at reading the switch and sensor data in realtime. Can you offer some guidance on the process for testing the switches/sensors using a multimeter?

The inputs need to be looked at with a scan tool while actuating components. Do you have the ability to actuate components? You can try backprobing with a voltmeter to see if the switches change state while actuating them.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if I manually open the top half-way, I can manually operate the switches. Where should I probe for voltage, and what should I expect to see?

You'll need to backprobe on the switch connectors with T pins or something similar to contact the terminals in the connectors and see if the signal voltage changes state when the switches are opened and closed.