Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

From India.I had spoken to you a few months back regarding

Customer Question

Hi Doug,This is Vikranth from India.I had spoken to you a few months back regarding installing a Aux jack to my Mitsubishi Outlander 2009 model.You had advised me to get the part attached in the pic and connect it to the RCA jack.Well I did manage to get the part ordered through mentor mistusbishi as you had suggested and installed it but when I try playing anything on aux mode there's nothing.No sound.Please advice.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

Are you pressing and holding the CD button on the radio to switch to AUX mode?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
of course
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

Can you please take a photo of your radio so I can see which exact model you have?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here it is
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

Thanks, that's great. When you are holding CD, it is switching to AUX, you just aren't getting any audio through, is that correct?
I'm pulling up the schematics right now for some further testing.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

Also just to be clear, you don't have any add-on DVD or anything like that installed in the headliner or headrests etc?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I hold the cd button it switches to aux but there's no audio streaming .I tried my iPhone as a source and then even a few other MP3 players but to no avail.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

No problem, just wanted to make sure the radio is switching properly. The odds of it showing AUX mode and not working (as a result of the radio itself) are pretty slim. That means we likely just have a connection issue of some sort, as it is literally just wire between the jacks and the radio. As long as there is no add-on audio (like DVD) installed already, we should be in good shape.

I'd like to verify whether there is a break in the wiring first as that will tell us right away if the issue is the radio or wiring in nature.

Please remove the radio and the AUX port. The radio can be removed with just a flat and philips screw driver. Use the flat driver to pop out the vent registers on either side. Use the philips to unscrew the radio surround panel (if screws are still present on either side of the airbag/belt lights) and pop the panel off. DO NOT unplug the panel in any way, as you risk setting an air bag light. Just let it hang.
Then remove the four philips screws holding the radio guts into the dash, slide it out and unplug it.

On the radio harnesses there will be an 18 pin connector. Holding the connector so that the wires face you (not the "pins") and the release button on top, identify the fourth pin from the left on the top row, it will be a Brown wire.
Then on the AUX jack connector identify the sixth pin (far right pin) while holding in the same orientation, it will be a Black wire.
Take a multimeter set to resistance/ohms and measure between these two pins. You should either see 0.000 or 0L as a reading, let me know which you have.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have a multimeter with me.im still opening up the radio now
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

No problem, but you will need to get/borrow one to get that test done. We aren't too worried about the connection on the radio since if it was loose/bad there you would have other malfunctions.
If you want to skip forward (Assuming there is a wiring issue), there is a connector on the floor under the seat (below the carpet) that connects the console harness to the radio/dash harness... that would be where I would be looking for an issue, a disconnection there. If it is plugged in, then a more thorough inspection from the console all the way to the radio for damage would be in order, though that would be far less likely than the connector being unplugged or corroded, etc.
If of course the multimeter shows full continuity (0.000), then we would expect a problem with the radio itself. It is MUCH more likely that there is a wiring issue at play though, and you would see a 0L reading on the meter (indicating an open circuit between the two pins).

I am attaching a diagram of the floor connector I mentioned. Note this is on a left hand drive version... if you have a right hand drive, it may be reversed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dear *****,I managed to remove the panel and the radio.I have attached pics of that and also I checked the wiring on the floor.There seems to be a yellow harness that's not connected to anything but I don't see a corresponding jack to connect it to..I have attached pics of the floor from the front and behind the seats.Pleae advice.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

That is the wrong connector... remember we want the 18 pin not the 20 pin you are holding. I am attaching the picture again with the wire circled.
As far as the yellow harness, I would have to see it to determine if it is relevant. Resistance testing between the circled wire and the black pin 6 on the aux port harness is the preferred next step.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Doug,I just bought a multimeter.However I haven't used one before.Could you please guide me.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

Place the two leads into the center port and the bottom right port of the meter.
Turn the dial to the "200" that is nearly straight down.

Then firmly connect one lead to the brown wire on the radio harness I circled and the other lead to the black wire on pin 6 of the aux port connector.

The meter should either read 0L or 0.000 most likely. Let me know what the reading is.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok first thing the ends of the wires are pen tipped and do not penetrate into the aux jacks properly but somehow managed to touch the metal heads of the brown and black wires to the leads but the meter stayed at 1..do I need to turn on the ignition?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

No need to turn the ignition on. Do no touch anything on the aux jack... ONLY the two wires I indicated.

Take the two meter leads and touch them together, do you see 0.000?

Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

If yes, then separate the two leads (so they aren't touching anything), then what do you see?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The leads need to touch the brown wire on radio and black wire on aux right.Please see pics
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok when leads touching 00.5 to 00.7
When separated it shows 1
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

Hmm.... that is peculiar. A 0.000 (or very close to that) would mean complete continuity (a good thing). A 0L (or in your meters case, "1") is an open circuit, a bad thing if we were getting that result.

Seeing 0.5 (meaning 0.5 ohms), that means there is resistance in the circuit. There are two other wires involved for the aux jack, but odds are they are showing the same resistance. What they aren't showing is an open circuit though, which blows our chances at an unplugged harness in between.

So at this point we have two probable scenarios. 1) the wiring is damaged/corroded/etc increasing the resistance preventing operation or 2) the resistance is not high enough to cause an issue (tough call there) and the radio itself is simply not functioning correctly with regard to the audio input.

So that said... if you have the radio plugged in and set to AUX, have a phone/mp3 player/etc on and playing audio at full volume, when you plug it into the AUX jack do you get any feedback at all (click/buzz/etc) through the speakers, even just briefly for a split second?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Doug I think there is a communication gap here..see when I turn the multimeter on and don't touch anything it shows 1..when I touch the leads of the multimeter with each other(assuming that's what u asked me to do) then the meter varies between 00.5 to 00.7.Until this point I haven't touched the radio head or the aux jack.Now with meter reading 1 I touch one lead to the brown wire u circled and the black wire of the aux it still showed 1.As for the click/buzz.when I switch on the aux mode i don't hear anything but when I increase the volume considerably I get a slight buzz
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

Oh OK... that's much clearer, thank you.

If you are getting 00.5 when touching together, then that is as close to continuity as you can get on that meter (just an accuracy issue).

With the meter touching the two pins I indicated and still only seeing "1", then there is an open in the harness. Which is a good thing for us, as that is an obvious issue with the AUX not working and should be repairable, we just have to find the open. You can disregard the comments about when plugging in the phone etc since that would have been relying on the wires having continuity which I misunderstood.

Please get me a photo of that unplugged harness you found and mentioned earlier so I can identify it, and as well take a second look for the harness connector I posted the diagram of earlier yesterday and see if we can find it. On left hand drive vehicles it is under the left (driver) seat and carpet, right hand drive may or may not be reversed though.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I looked under the seats of both the passenger and driver and found a unplugged yellow harness under the passenger seat too.I have attached pics of both the shots under the passenger and driver seats.also there is a black box u der the drivers seat with some harnesses running into it.Have sent you shots of that too.
Identifying anymore wires would require me to remove the seats(if that's possible).Please advice
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

Thanks... you just caught me before stepping out for the night.

The yellow harness is a airbag/seatbelt harness. Since it is unplugged it is likely something deleted on your vehicle (seat air bag delete for example). It is not relevant to our radio situation.

The black box is the amplifier for the radio.

The harness we would be looking for is the one indicated in the illustration I posted a few days ago... it would be in the front of the seat area, beneath the carpet... on LHD vehicles it would be on the left/driver seat side. Being under the carpet, loosening the seats is most likely to be necessary. The connector is a 24 pin connector of two rows, the top row has 5 pins, a gap, then 6 more pins. The bottom row 13 pins.

We need to find that harness, as it is most probable that it is unplugged or has been re-routed to a different harness (like I mentioned before for rear seat entertainment use). If we can not find it, then the only option would be to run new wiring.... specifically:

Radio pin 4-Brown ---> AUX pin 6 Black

Radio pin 13-Yellow ---> AUX pin 4 White

Radio pin 14 Orange ---> AUX pin 5 Blue
This is far from ideal though as you would need to incorporate some sort of shielding to prevent it from picking up interference (the factory wiring is shielded).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok fine but I guess I will have to loosen or remove the drivers seat. Please advice on how to go about it.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

I'd strongly urge you to disconnect the negative battery terminal first. This will prevent any possibility of setting an SRS fault if the seats become unplugged by accident or intentionally (there isn't a lot of length on the wires that go to the seats).

Each seat has four plastic covers that just pop off at the corners where they reach the floor. Under each is a single 14mm bolt, four per seat. Remove these bolts and you can tip the seat back, unplugging the connectors for more room.

The threshold covers/scuff plates (they cover the bottom of the door opening, where the outside meets the inside) can be popped off by pulling up to allow more access under the carpet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok will look into this and get back to you soon.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

No problem.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok so I just go ahead and disconnect the negative terminal .Any precautions I need to take?
Expert:  Doug replied 27 days ago.
Just loosen the 10mm nut on the negative cable and lift it off. Do not touch the positive cable at all.
It looks like someone has had that interior apart judging by the weird liner there, hopefully something just got unplugged or pinched etc.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok shall start now.How long will you be available online.Must be close to 11pm now there I guess
Expert:  Doug replied 27 days ago.
I will be around for an hour or so, but will return in the morning.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Doug I removed the negative terminal.The seat bolts I did remove the ones in the front with some degree of difficulty primarily because I don't think I have the right tools.The ones at the back are simply impossible to access with the tools I have .Feeling frustrated.
Expert:  Doug replied 27 days ago.
Yeah you would need a 14mm socket and a good sized ratchet to get them off. Since someone changed the floor covering with that rubber and so had to remove the seats before, it is possible they got over tightened too.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
This one you mean?
Expert:  Doug replied 27 days ago.
No just a plain 14mm socket in 3/8 drive and a long handle 3/8 ratchet.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I won't be able to get one now today being a Sunday.Shall get one tomm.So I just put the negative termina back on?..any precautions?
Expert:  Doug replied 27 days ago.
you can just reconnect the negative terminal and it will be just like before you started.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thanks shall connect tomm.If possible please post a pic of what I should be buying.Even if it is a tool kit set it would be useful I think
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I just tried connecting I get crackling ..is that normal?
Expert:  Doug replied 27 days ago.
As long as you only removed the negative terminal it will be fine.Here is the socket:
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Drive-14-mm-6-Point-Metric-Standard-Socket-H3D6P14MM/202913507?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|google|&mid=syrjdvt4k|dm_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_50250225219_pkw__pmt__product_202913507_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAiAmJvBBRDKpP724LigwngSJAAYRJXBIk-CSUNbJQXOfwvPEWoIIpMau-O3balVFz3zvgd4WhoCDvzw_wcB
And a ratchet:
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Full-Polish-72-Tooth-Ratchet-H38FPRAT/202923413?cm_mmc=Shopping-_-LIAs-_-D25T-_-202923413&gclid=CjwKEAiAmJvBBRDKpP724LigwngSJAAYRJXBw9Sz02pJLU2KSbeFrPX_wyvgpPt8npMm32OtMhqiAhoCrELw_wcB
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Doug I managed to get the tools.Shall open up the seats and text you back tomm
Expert:  Doug replied 23 days ago.
No problem.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Doug I managed to get the tools and open up the drivers seat but I couldn't find the harness and am assuming it's tucked under the mats.However I had also put up an intermediary mat way back(beige colour).This greatly hampers my access.so I my attempt to access the area below the mat I tried to remove the seat completely by unplugging the wires and managed to remove all except the one in the pic.This one jus doesn't come off and I'm the process I'm afraid I might have mananged the lock of the jack a little.Im still unable to remove that jack amar totally frustrated
Expert:  Doug replied 19 days ago.

Yeah we're going to be dealing with the harness under the carpet, so you would have to dig deeper than that. If it is uncomfortable, you may wish to let an electrician go in there to locate and correct the issue.... that liner you put in is going to have to come out if it is as rigid as it looks.

Either way, you have the connector for the jacks and wires present, and you have wires at the radio, but you have no continuity on the wires... the issue will be there at that connector under the carpet most likely. If you find it is connected, then a more thorough inspection (most interior removed) will be required to check the wiring for damage. Again it is most probable the connector came unplugged, corroded, or perhaps had something happen during the mat install or something along those lines.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Dear *****Managed to open up the driver side but all wires seemed to be intact but however when I opened up the passenger side I found a white socket with nothing going into it..I'm assuming this is the socket we are looking for...have attached both pics..please advice
Expert:  Doug replied 18 days ago.

That definitely looks like our guy. The button side row should have 5 pin positions (not all will have pins in them though), a gap, then 6 pin positions. The other row should be 12 pin positions. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it certainly looks like what we have there.

Please examine pin 5 (one of the ones on the top row, adjacent to the center gap) and pin 24 (last pin on the long bottom row). Are both pins present and occupied by a blue wire?

If you are unsure, take a photo from the rear side for me and I can check it out.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The connector has 5 pins then a gap and 6 pins..the 5 pins have pins in them but the 6 pin part has 2 pins 2 empty 2 pinsThe bottom has 13 pins with 3 empty then 1pin then 1 empty and 8 pins
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Do you have a whatsapp number I can msg to..mines +91 99400 51615
Expert:  Doug replied 18 days ago.

Hmm... the pin orientation looks correct, but the colorings do not. You should have either pins 3-4-5 as black-white-blue wires or 22-23-24 as black-white-blue wires or both. And unless 3-4-5 are in the top left of the connector view in your last picture, I see neither.

Expert:  Doug replied 18 days ago.

Forgive me, I only saw the first picture... let me review the others.

Expert:  Doug replied 18 days ago.

It still does not look like the proper pin outs... meaning either that isn't the right connector (it looks like it is though) or you are missing some of the wiring for some reason (non-global market harness for some reason).

At this point your best bet would probably be to have an electrician run you a new shielded audio cable from between the black/white/blue wires at the jack to the orange/yellow/brown wires at the radio and bypass this situation. That will still use the original radio and jack as designed.

The alternative is going to be pulling the console/seats/carpet out and opening up the harness and following those wires from the jack to find out where they go/stop and doing the same from the radio back.

Expert:  Doug replied 18 days ago.

This is of course assuming you haven't found the other end of the connector floating around down there somewhere to plug in.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I'm thinking that the jack must be floating around somewhere.i think I need to remove the center console..but it seems to be locked..temme how to remove the center console
Expert:  Doug replied 18 days ago.

The side panels need to come off from the front, there are screws behind them. The top bezel pops off and has screws beneath it, the rear console has screws in the bottom etc... it is a bundle of work, and there shouldn't be any plug in there to worry about... that one under the seat area is the only one between the radio and the jack.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Removed the center console the aux wire seems to be ruining straight to the radio
Expert:  Doug replied 18 days ago.

It isn't supposed to be... it is supposed to branch off to that connector then back to the radio. Either way.... same thing applies like I mentioned the other day. You have the wires on both ends but no continuity... so at this point, start following the wires (inside the harness, as they may turn down a branch etc and you wouldn't know) until you find out why there is no continuity. That or run new wires if you want to assume it is damage related.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Doug it's half past 2 here ..too T damn tired and Frustrated..shall check it out in the morning..I was just wondering about the unconnected harness in the radio head seemed quite like the jack we are looking to be floating around..don't know if it makes any sense
Expert:  Doug replied 18 days ago.

Where does that connector go? I mean it wasn't plugged in right, and if not how much harness is there?
Can you get a picture of the back side so I can see the wire colors?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Here is the back side
Expert:  Doug replied 18 days ago.

That could possibly be the bluetooth module connector... I don;t have the schematic for it handy to check the wires, but they do not match the wires we need for the aux jack.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok managed to clear the entire floor area but couldn't find the harness..not sure if it came with my model..tried using the multimeter between the three aux wires of the radio(yellow orange and brown) and the connector and found connection for 3 pins and similarly tried pinging between the connector and the aux harness below center console and found connection for 3 other pins..am I right in thinking that a jumper of some sort could close the circuit.Either way i didn't want tô risk it without asking you so finally decided to cut through the radio head as a last resort and ran wires directly from head and the aux works fine but is there anything I need to be careful about?
Expert:  Doug replied 17 days ago.

Yes, those are the wires I mentioned back on the 7th you can just route new wiring between if you didn't want to find the break between them. Somewhere, those wires stop in both directions and you could reconnect them (either by unplugged or in your case more likely missing harness or by repairing breaks), or you could just route your own wiring between them.
Just make sure you are on the right wires (which you already have it sounds like), and be sure you solder the connections and insulate them and you should be fine.

Radio pin 4-Brown ---> AUX pin 6 Black

Radio pin 14 Orange ---> AUX pin 5 Blue

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Doug the aux seems to be ok but occasionally I get lot of disturbance when playin which however disappears when I turn it on the next time..Please advice
Expert:  Doug replied 12 days ago.

You need to be sure it is shielded wire or you will get disturbances like that. If you used unshielded wire you can try purchasing some shielding to wrap the wire in, but most likely you will need to re-do it with proper audio wire where the ground is shielded around the left and right channels. The ground wire is the one that is orange at the radio/blue at the jack.

Without proper shielding it will essentially act like an antenna which will fluctuate due to the audio signal changing while in use.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
im not too sure what you mean by shielded wires..u mean the rubber casing in top??..pardon my ignorance..Secondly wanted to know if connecting this device could give me Bluetooth access..check link and if yes any downsides to it?https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01GQ3WQZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_nkypybD2Q7EAG
Expert:  Doug replied 11 days ago.

Audio wires are shielded... they use a special metal foil like covering to insulate the very thin audio wires. In some cases like the factory wiring, the ground wire is fixed to the shielding as well.

Running regular wires is not sufficient for carrying an audio signal like that any significant distance or it will act like an antenna and get back ground noise. If you were to buy for example some RCA cables and then just cut the ends off and solder that in place, it would do better. Obviously the ideal solution is to use the factory wiring and find the break in it, but that time has passed of course.

That adapter is a generic bluetooth adapter that just utilizes an auxiliary input like you added. As long as you can plug it in (looks like it is a 1/8" mini jack as opposed to your RCA jacks, so you would need an adapter there) and switch to AUX, it will work. It will not suddenly give you any bluetooth functions to the radio, it will simply allow you to stream audio from your phone (be it music or a phone call) to the adapter which then will send the audio to the radio via the Aux wires just like if you were directly plugged into it.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sorry I couldn't reply earlier.Im out of station will be back in a few days .Shall do soldering and shielding and check with you and then close the question
Expert:  Doug replied 4 days ago.
No problem