FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

How do you remove harmonic balancer pulley on 2002

Customer Question

How do you remove harmonic balancer pulley on 2002 Mitsubishi Montero sport 3.5L I have removed the harmonic balancer pulley bolt and have a 3 jaw puller on the balancer pulley and it is not budging. I'm trying to replace the water pump. I need an answer by tomorrow morning.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  FixItMan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** three jaw puller will not typically remove this pulley. You should use a balancer puller in order to get it off. If you do not have bolt holes in the balancer for the puller then you will need to apply heat to the outside of the pulley around the crankshaft. These two parts tend to lock together over time. If you need more help please let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a harmonic balancer puller, however you are correct there are no bolt holes to mount it to.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 6 months ago.

If it is the style that does not have the holes then the claw puller will be needed. You may need to use heat. Some of the time if possible, if you let the engine warm up to normal temperature and allow these parts to naturally warm up they may separate better.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Won't the heat damage the lower timing belt cover because it's plastic
Expert:  FixItMan replied 6 months ago.

It shouldn't if you do not get it too hot. You should be able to simply heat up the balancer just a little around the crank and that should break it free.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well I have heated the balancer pulley several times and as I tighten the claw puller up, the claws start to pull up and off the pulley.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 6 months ago.

You need to use a claw puller that tightens as you tighten the center bolt. This is the only way to get past the point that it will not come off. Most good pullers will have two positions, one of them allowing the claws to grip even harder the more you tighten it.