Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2000 Mitsubishi Montero sport, was running fine shut car off

Customer Question

2000 Mitsubishi Montero sport, was running fine shut car off normal. Now car won't start code p1610 . Don't have much money how do I fix this? Don't have the foggiest idea how to do this
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  david craig replied 7 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for using the site. allow me a moment to look up some information on your issue. thank you.

first of all do you have another key?

hello?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
No

Look on your drivers B pillar, just behind the door. You should see a sticker that has "serial number" written on it. The sticker is about 1" x 2".
Provide that serial number exactly as it appears and I can provide your temporary over ride code for you and instructions on how to use it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did lose the key and had a locksmith make another will this make any difference? I do have the key code from locksmith

The key code is not what i need. i need the immobilizer code at the location i provided above.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
S/N. A03119B6

your immobilizer over ride code should be

5669

To input the code you will use the brake pedal in the sequence shown below from the original owners manual insert. Please note that timing isabsolutely critical. If you take too long between steps or rush it will not process correctly.
Also please note that this is meant to be done with a flat metal key only. If you are using a transponder key (whether new and unprogrammed or programmed incorrectly etc) it will not work. This is because when the system sees an RFID signal it automatically disabled the over ride. You can get around this by wrapping the head of the key in aluminum foil several times to shield the RFID signal.
Once you perform the over ride the engine will start, and then you will have one more start after that before it locks again. so you need to drive it right to the dealer to have new keys programmed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, isn't there anyway to just get rid of the immobiliser?

this above procedure may or may not work if you dont have a spare key. as a professional licensed technician i am not allowed to give any tampering advise/direction..i beleive there are videos of things like that.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK thanks I do have a regular blankie and I and I hope it works

if not call the dealer give them that # you gave me ans see what code they come up with.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I tried the number and it didn't work and then I called the Mitsubishi guys and they said they don't give it out over the phone and I can't really afford to have my car towed up there can you check and make sure there's not another number that might work for my car or some other way I can get it started
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

i think all you need is i.d. the owners card and the number you gave me. they want to make sure its your car. i dont believe the car has to be there.

were you able to get it taken care of?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No the dealer is on the other side of town and my car , well you know so don't know what to do

Ill opt out and see if another tech can help out. maybe i gave you the wrong code. good luck

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

Different expert here.

Did you still need help?

If so, please reply so we can get started

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the bypass code he gave me didn't work.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Is your key all metal or does it have plastic on or around it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All metal and a plastic one
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

So you have two different keys?

One is plastic and one is metal?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for that information. This problem is either caused by a bad key or a bad security module provided the inputs are correct. I would start by checking all fuses under the hood and inside the vehicle and then check the inputs to the security module and replace it as needed. Once it is replaced, it will need to be programmed and or the key will need to be configured to the vehicle or new security module and you will be good to go!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.