Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

I was wondering what is the best way to replace a 1999

Customer Question

Hi, I was wondering what is the best way to replace a 1999 Mitsubishi eclipse 2.0L alternator. It is located all the way at the bottom of the engine, how do you reccomend getting to it?
JA: Have you done a battery test? Has there been any change in headlight brightness?
Customer: The battery is fine until I start to use other appliances i.e. AC and radio, then the lights dim and the car begins to shut off
JA: Are you fixing your Eclipse yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I am fixing it myself. So far I haven´t tried to get to the alternator. I was planning on removing the tire and going from the bottom
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, where can I find a diagram for the timing and drive belts for the car
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 days ago.

As far as the alternator goes, there really is no easy way to do this one. I usually pull the plastic paneling from the bottom of the car and then pull the tire. It definitely makes it a lot easier to pull the belt with the tire off.

Now, for the timing belt, here is the only diagram that I can find. It's not the best, ***** ***** gives a good idea of what it takes:

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 days ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info. I'm going to call it a night, but I'll check back tomorrow to see if you have more questions.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 days ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info. Also, please don't forget to rate my service. Just Answer doesn't compensate us for our time if we don't get a positive rating.

Expert:  Jared D replied 18 hours ago.

Please let me know if you need additional information.