Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK

The alarm keeps going off. I bought the car second hand and

Customer Question

The alarm keeps going off. I bought the car second hand and I don't have the remote. I want to know how to reset it.
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: Yes, several times.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2005 Lancer
JA: Are you fixing your Lancer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I' tried unlocking and locking the passenger and driver door several times. I also started the car a fee times.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that the alarm won't shut off
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Eric replied 8 days ago.

Ok, do the following -

Place key in the ignition and turn to on position, open and leave open the driver door. Disconnect the negative battery cable for 1 minute, then reconnect. Alarm should sound for 60 seconds and then stop. Cycle key off for 5 seconds and then crank engine. Alarm should be reset at that point and off.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That did absolutely nothing.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 days ago.

I will opt out and see if another expert knows of another method

Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 8 days ago.

Hi I will try to help the situation but first do you know where the alarm siren is located or if the horn is blowing do you know where the horn assembly is located, usually under the hood or in the grill?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The alarm siren is located by the grill on the passenger side.
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 7 days ago.

Ok, temporarily cut one of the 2 wires going to it, until you can have the alarm system properly diagnosed and repaired, that way you don't have to listen to the ear piercing sound.

Is the alarm aftermarket or factory?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The way that you didn't even try to suggest anything and immediately told me to cut wires to turn off the horn is completely unprofessional. I am fighting to have whatever money was charged to me to be refunded because of the fact that you are unprofessional. If this is the way that you handle all of the problems with which you "help" people, then you should consider just not answering any more questions.