sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I cannot open my liftgate on my 1993 expo lrv van...can u

Customer Question

I cannot open my liftgate on my 1993 expo lrv van...can u give me suggestions how to open?
JA: Are you fixing your Expo LRV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried to lock and unlock the doors and hatch door and I
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I realize the latch has to be pushed back under after opening but now it's really jammed shut...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that could be going on. The liftgate trim panel is almost surely going to need to be removed to be able to diagnose and repair the issue.

The most likely cause for it not opening would be the latch itself. When pulling the handle does it feel normal? Does it not move, or move with no resistance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the handle feels normal but i know it sticks so I have to push it back into the open position so the next time i open the hatch it will open easily...but doing that has not worked now...i'm prepared to remove the back panel from inside the van and it would be helpful if i could see what to look for after this is done...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
since it's now night time where I live on Long Island NY, it would not be helpful for you to call me and I don't want to be charged an additional $26.00 as the first $18 only got me to you with no help at all....maybe I'll try YouTube....thanks, anyway....

I'm unable to talk on the phone.

If you don't wish to continue that's up to you.