Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner, 27 year Import technician

2000 gallant 2.4L with p0750. Fluid was black, so fluid and

2000 gallant 2.4L with p0750. Fluid was black, so fluid and filter was replaced. Once replaced, vehicle idled fine and while brakes applied, shifted through all gears. But once accelerator was pressed, and vehicle started moving, vehicle seemed to thump and get stuck in one gear. Immediately after, the SES light illuminated and p0750 returned. Questions: 1. is this code pertaining to one of the five shift solenoids internal tranny pan area or is it the input sensor on top of tranny? 2. How do I replace faulty sensor or solenoid(s)?
VIN 4A3AA46G5YE052734

Hi Im David, please allow me a moment to pull that info for you. thanks

P0750 - Shift Solenoid 'A' Malfunction
Low transmission fluid level - Dirty transmission fluid - Faulty shift solenoid 'A' valve - Shift solenoid 'A' valve harness or connectors - Shift solenoid 'A' valve circuit is open or shorted

When the a transmission solenoid is malfunction, in most cases the problem is not the electrical part of the solenoid; the problem is foreign material obstructing the mechanical function of the solenoid or the flow of the fluid through the transmission valve body. If the transmission fluid is very dirty, it is recommend changing the transmission fluid and if possible removing the transmission pan for further diagnosis. Excessive debris or metal particles on the transmission pan could be an indication that there is a transmission mechanical failure and that the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced. i will send you a pic of the locaton

i cant find a good picture so i will opt out and allow another tech to help you,

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hey David, come back!
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I won't need the picture if there is a description on how to replace. I'm assuming the referred solenoid is internal of pan....correct? I'm mechanical savvy and have a good idea just wanted verification. Your answer was very descriptive as my possible problem. Which it seems your recommendation is drop pan, inspect harness, and check for debris or obstruction. If all checks out, rebuild or replace transmission......correct?

Hi another expert here to assist you with this issue .

First information Dave gave you is correct .but with my experience with this transmission you would save a lot of cash if you just have it rebuilt or take a chance with a used unit .

Having black transmission fluid is a good sign of internal damage to the clutch plates . the small clutch parts have mixed in with the transmission fluid and go into all the small working parts of the valve body .

This cause particles to get into the valves solenoids and spring balls causing all sorts of problems .

Lets say you back flush the system remove the valve body clean it out and then put all back together there is always that small amount of dirt that will cause you problems in the very near future ,

Ss i suggest you replace the transmission with a new converter .

Been there and done it many times as requested by the customer only to come to my conclusion of having to replace the transmission or rebuild with a new converter .

The converter will hold a lot of dirt even after flushing and draining .

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me .

Regards Indy

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks Indy. I was good with Dave's answer, but he opted out because he didn't have a picture for me (that I didn't even need). His answer actually help me to fix my problem...well at least temporarily. I did the fluid drain and filter change. I refilled it and it took about 6.5qts. that's putting in 3.5qts, shifting through all gears, checking fluid and nothing on the stick. Added another 1.5qts and shifted thru all gears and checked fluid again and fluid was barely at tip of stick. Added 1 more quart and same methods and it took another half quart after that to get to full. After that, the vehicle ran, shifted, and drove like it did prior to the issue.

Hi .

That good, lets hope you can keep it alive for a while .

As soon as you start to feel it slip then you know why .

Keep an eye on the fluid level and condition this will give you some indication how much time you have ..

Happy motoring and good luck with the transmission .

Good work on your behalf .all the best Indy ..

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

Thank you Sir .

Greg, Technician
Experience: 17 years shop owner, 27 year Import technician