Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Radiator fans are not working, climate control not working,

Customer Question

Radiator fans are not working, climate control not working, antilock light is on.. All of this occurred after attempting to swap the 15amp trunk fuse, to the 15amp slot for the dome lights in main fuse panel. (The previous one was blown). I just recently bought this vehicle and the day prior to all of this everything was working great. With the exception of radio and dome lights because of the fuse that was blown
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: Nothing in the manual could help with this.. the problems all appear to be very random
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2002 diamante es
JA: Are you fixing your Diamante yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trying to. Tested all fuses, and relays. They are all getting power and in good working condition, but still not working. The main thing I'm worried about is the radiator fans
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I bought the car a few days ago, it had a bad battery so I swapped that out two days ago, and everything worked fine after that. All the problems arose after trying to put the 15amp fuse in the dome light iod spot
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, so you replace the dome light fuse and things went haywire..hmmm ...allow me a moment to pull up a diagram, thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks David.. also I might add, this car used to be a rental and it had some aftermarket GPS device mounted under the steering wheel. I've gotten rid of most of the components from that device, except it seems it's power cable for it was spliced directly into the (I think it's a relay) that's on the very back of the ignition cylinder where that main cable for the car attaches.. Not sure if that makes a difference

heres a print of the dome light and trunk light circuits. im not sure why replacing the fuse would cause all of these issues.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If we know the radiator relays are getting power in the fuse box (used a multimeter lead and hotwired the two correct slots under a radiator relay, the fans came on without a hitch) , and we know that the relays are operational (swapped with headlight relays to check). What would possibly keep the from running? And cause all these other random problems? I've focused mainly on troubleshooting the fans I haven't even looked at climate control and abs

are the relays getting switched dc voltage?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How would I tell?

at the relay. there should always be a constant B+ in one postion, then when you turn the key on there should be 12vdc at another position.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've got a constant b+ but I can't seem to find any fan relay with 12 dcv after key is turned.

let me find another print

you should have 12vdc at 1 and 4 with the key on

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Which positions are 1 and 4?

look at the print and wire colors

1 is red/yellow 4 is black/white

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm confused, I'm testing the relay sockets for this voltage what what wires are you talking about? Apologies, I'm mechanically inclined, but certainly not trained in electrical, or schematics
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did you mean the relay on the ignition?

the cooling fan relay

should be in the fuse/relay panel under the hood

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok that's where I am, I am just looking at the topside where the sockets for the relays are, not exactly sure how I would get a look at the wires

how many slots on the base?

4?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there are four, tried to add a picture bit it wasn't going through

ok. one slot has 12volts with the key off correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct

ok. turn the key on, and there should be 12volts in another slot

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There nothing, that same slot still has 12, but all other three are dead
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
for instance I tested the headlights and they had a different slot with 12v, so I know I'm not misreading

ok so we are missing the switched voltage. let me see if i can find out where its supposed to be coming from

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok

i have to get out of this shop. ill be back on in about an hour we will continue

do you still need assistance?