sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

After a short while working some wiring in central console

Customer Question

Hello after a short while working some wiring in central console all my warning lights come on and stay on and I cannot engage the gear shifter
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Do you know where it is located?
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: Its a 2012 mitsubishi outlander es
JA: Are you fixing your Outlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Right just troubleshooting, someone is supposed to help me with a odb reader.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car starts, all seems to function except for a.c. controls. The a.c. blower is on as soon as I turn switch to acc
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello, it's seems there is no more communication with me?....
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Do you know where to locate the TCM on mitsubishi Outlander 2012 ES?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If all warning lights are on then it indicates either a loss of power or ground to multiple modules or there is a bus communication issue. The modules all communicate over a wired network and if it shorts to power or ground then communication will be prevented. If the instrument cluster can't communicate with a module then that respective warning light will come on.

It's going to take some in depth testing to determine what is wrong. Do you have access to a full capability scan tool?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
HelloCustomer thank you for your response. The only tool I have so far is a bluetooth obd2 scanner which connected to my phone and using Torque app returned 18 issues including p1590 and u0101 as well as p0668, I feel u0101 is the most important one to focus on as it seem to pertain to ecu and tcm communication. Anything you would suggest would appreciated (of course taking to Mitsubishi shop would be ultimate solution, but I want to save on those labor hours :))
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Also a/c controls do not work and none of the fans work, however all the blower motor blows warm air to condensation vents as soon as I turn the key to ACC.
Can you post all fault codes currently setting?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Let me know it you can read info

The U0100 does point to a communication bus issue. It's going to take some in depth electrical testing to determine what is going on. The problem may be a failure in any module or a short to power or ground on the bus communication circuits literally anywhere in the harness between components.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your response. One thing puzzle me: why would blower(underneath the passenger dash area) turn on on its own when turning key to ACC, it did not normally do that before, or it is related to the AC controls not working issue. I was told that you can read the resistance from the Can bus by plugging in an Ohmmeter to two specific pins on the DLC connector.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
do you Have any references on how to access/ remove AC control panel?
Thank you.

The blower motor will come on if communication with the control head is lost.

You can read termination resistance from the data link connector.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Reading at pins 6 and 14 on my dial ohmmeter show 16 when x10 is selected. Sorry for bad pic, hands shaking problem.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
That means 160 Ohms correct?

You'd need to use a digital voltmeter for any automotive use. If you're wanting to try to diagnose the problem yourself you're going to need a full capability scan tool with the ability to communicate with all modules on the vehicle to see what does and doesn't communicate. From there it will need to be determined whether the bus circuits to those modules are open or shorted to power or ground. From there modules can be unplugged one at a time to see if the short goes away. If it doesn't go away then the rpoblem is with wiring somewhere in the vehicle.