sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

07 mitsu Raider 3.7 auto. battery drain traced to Integrated

Customer Question

07 mitsu Raider 3.7 auto. battery drain traced to Integrated power module connector C4 underneath fuse box. need wiring diagram of that connector. how to find please....
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

To correctly perform an ignition off draw test you would need to remove fuses one at a time while watching for the draw to drop, or you could check voltage drop across fuses to determine what circuit current is flowing on. Once the offending circuit is located then components on that circuit can be concentrated on. Do you know what fused circuit the draw is on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The draw is unfused or feeds another remote fuse location. With a wiring diagram of that C4 connector pin out chart I can trace the offending circuit further. That diagram is missing from the www.eautorepair.net website, but connector C4 is viewable here;
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, it says my session has timed out as soon as I click on repair and then wiring diagrams. "You may log in again" it says, but that doesn't work. It always returns to the time out page. What to do?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have pulled every fuse, relay, and module and the alternator and ignition switch connectors. Only by flipping the fuse box (engine compartment left fender) over and pulling connector C4 will the draw stop. One of those 14 wires is the culprit, so I need to follow the color codes and pin positions in that C4 connector to determine the source of the draw.

Please explain exactly how draw testing is being done.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is an led test light in line with cable negative to battery, along with an ammeter. Pulling fuses and connectors until the draw goes away and the light goes out. I wish I could access the site so I could send you the connector location view of C4 with a link. Can you send me a diagram of the pin outs on that C4? I am trying to get the accounting dept. to answer my problem by online submission form, but no phone support is available with this subscription. Less than 1 day in so I may have to request a refund if we can't get this solved asap.

I'm not able to post material directly from the service information due to copyright but can help guide through testing.

An ammeter needs to be used for testing, an LED test light isn't an accurate way to test for a draw by any means. Do you have an ammeter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I accessed the page by changing browsers. Here is the diagram of that C4;
http://www.eautorepair.net/app/Graphic.asp?S0=2097152&S1=0&SG=%7BA51E4E1E-772C-4776-9EFF-79EFFEA8B8C8%7D&YR=2007&MK=161&MD=6633&SM=6813&CAT=2930&SCT=406&AG=A00266409&MKN=Mitsubishi&MDN=Raider+LS&PS=524288&MA=15&SID=916373598&Ill=00364067&Fig=4

Do you have an ammeter to begin testing properly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a Vantage Power graphing meter set to amps/ma for 20 secs @ 75 ma scale. The amps probe is in the amps terminal, not channel 1, and the common negative on the meter is hooked to battery cable +, which is unhooked from battery terminal+. So the meter plus clip is hooked to bat + . When set to voltmeter scale, it reads voltage of 9.12v. The ammeter is not reading any spike in draw, so I reversed polarity, no change, again, at 75 ma scale. Not sure why the no ammeter reading. A test light in line with bat + and cable + comes on with draw, off with disconnect of C4. So what do you think?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still with me?

I'm a full time tech and cannot respond immediately.

Disconnect the negative battery cable with the doors closed. Take one meter lead to the terminal and the other to the cable. Set up a jumper wire between the cable and battery post. Press the lock button on the key fob and wait ten minutes.

Remove the jumper wire. What is the amperage shown?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
495 a
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
key fob no response. Left window down and hit lock button instead. After 8 mins. with jumper wire off, the draw went to .095a and at 12 mins dropped to .067a.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
now varying between .095a and .067a

That's almost down to being acceptable.

With the meter in place now you'll remove fuses one at a time while watching the meter and see when it drops. Don't reinsert fuses as they are removed or it will wake modules up.

Alternatively you could reinsert fuses and then wait for it to time out each time if the draw increases.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have already removed all fuses and all relays in the box at the same time, including the module bolted to the firewall side. The only thing that removes the draw is C4 underneath the Integrated power module at the left front fender engine compartment.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any more fuses elsewhere in the car?

But when you did that you weren't testing correctly so the results were not valid as I mentioned previously.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
10 fuse 2amp ignition switch run/start. The key switch on this thing has a lot of slop. sometimes the key needs wobbled a bit in order to remove it. just fyi.

That's a power feed only to the ignition switch. The problem has to be in the ignition switch, it isn't fully turning off due to a mechanical failure, or it's possible someone has connected an aftermarket electrical device to the circuit. This is the light blue/red wire at the switch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
six pin connector on key side of ignition switch has a red/liteblue stripe and when disconnected cuts loss to .01a after dome lite circuit timer cuts out. Is this the wire you described? 4 pin connector on door side of switch has a liteblue/ red stripe and when disconnected still has a .067 - .095 draw. Key wobble test had no effect on current draw.

If it drops with the ignition switch unplugged then either the switch is bad or it isn't fully turning to the off position.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the picture of the ignition switch on this page; http://www.eautorepair.net/app/Graphic.asp?S0=6291456&S1=0&SG=%7B31E65D36-EEA4-468C-A2C2-5B31EA83F06A%7D&YR=2007&MK=161&MD=6633&SM=6813&CAT=2930&SCT=406&AG=A00266409&MKN=Mitsubishi&MDN=Raider+LS&PS=524288&MA=15&SID=916373598&Ill=00358978&Fig=25&Ill=00358978&Fig=25&IMODE=D does not match the one on the car. The 6 pin connector (actually 8, only 6 are used) is plugged into a Daimler Chrysler module made by Lear; sku #TKLCH107702606 LEAR P/N 5E00U0407. This is the module that surrounds the tumbler/key portion of the switch and is removed with 1 phillips screw. Unplugging this module stops the draw. Please advise.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The diagram @ http://www.eautorepair.net/app/Graphic.asp?S0=6291456&S1=0&SG=%7B31E65D36-EEA4-468C-A2C2-5B31EA83F06A%7D&YR=2007&MK=161&MD=6633&SM=6813&CAT=2930&SCT=406&AG=A00266409&MKN=Mitsubishi&MDN=Raider+LS&PS=524288&MA=15&SID=916373598&Ill=00358978&Fig=25&Ill=00358978&Fig=25&IMODE=D calls this a sentry-key remote entry module if the drawing is correct. Like I said, there is no connector for the ignition switch in the position shown in the diagram.

The ignition switch connector is shown on the left side of the first link you sent. You're not concerned with the wireless control module.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know how to send you a picture of this 07 raider column, but it does not resemble the diagram online. There is no electrical connector on the car where they show it being in the book. If the wireless control module is causing the draw, why am I not concerned with it?

The fuse you said the draw is on only powers the ignition switch if the key is off.

You can upload a picture using the paperclip icon in the toolbar.