sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

It turns off while driving or idling. Sometimes it turns

Customer Question

It turns off while driving or idling. Sometimes it turns back on while driving or when I'm stopped. And sometimes it just won't start at all. I wait some time and then it starts. I've noticed when this happens I have no check engine light. I've replaced both cam and crankshaft sensor
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: When car shuts off the dash goes black. Not until I cycle the switch back to on.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 1995 eclipse gs Auto
JA: Are you fixing your Eclipse yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Check voltage to both sensors. Removed plug to computer for security. I've noticed when car does not start I leave ignition switch back on, I tap on computer and hear clicking and car starts.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Not really.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The symptoms described point to a powertrain control module issue. If the engine light isn't being controlled at the time of the no start condition, the fuel pump doesn't run and you have no spark then the PCM is not awake. The fact that you can top on it and get the engine to start either points to an internal failure or you could possibly be disturbing wiring or a poor connection when tapping on it. If you're not disturbing wiring or the connector and tapping directly on the module itself then it's going to need to be replaced.