Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

1999 Montero Sport.. Battery was connected in reverse

Customer Question

1999 Montero Sport.. Battery was connected in reverse polarity.. and vehicle was attempted to start. (interesting.. all lights, accessories (except stereo) worked). Have corrected wiring issue and put the correct battery in the truck.. Truck will crank but not fire.. Wondering if PCM is dead or perhaps fuel pump relay / distributor.. etc..
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: Where is the first place on the start? 144,000.. Yes car was just fine before battery died and replacement was installed incorrectly.. I have bypassed the malfunctioning alarm (had starter bypass) and truck will crank .
JA: Are you fixing your Montero Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Fixing it for my friend.. So far have checked fuses, fusible links, etc.. everything seems good. Surprisingly the only blown fuse after the incorrect polarity was the 20amp fuse for the factory alarm.. I have not tried much other than some starting fluid in the intake to ensure I had sufficient fuel
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Cary York replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

You really need a scan tool for this one. But first, you said you bypassed the alarm. Was the alarm already bypassed before? Or did you do that after the battery install?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The alarm was bypassed after the battery install.. When the battery died, the alarm was reset and was going off when the owner tried to jump start the truck.. The led\switch button broke when pressed to bypass the alarm and since the alarm has a starter interrupt.. it was bypassed.. Which brings us to current situation.. If the key is turned.. truck will crank.. but no fire..
So what do I check first?? Is there a fuse for ECU ? Fuel pump relay?
Expert:  Cary York replied 13 days ago.

I have to opt out. Another expert will help you shortly.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I connected a code reader and the ECU\ PCM still responds to commands.. which would leave me to believe its correct.
I hear some noise like a fuel pump (not 100%) so where is the fuse\relay for the ignition coil or how can I check? Is there a fuel pump relay I can check to make sure as well ???