sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

2002 full size montero.No dtc's. Starts randomly multiple

Customer Question

2002 full size montero.No dtc's. Starts randomly multiple times back to back but very undependable. Cranks but won't catch, battery replaced. Need to know if I can test relays by ohms for fuel and spark with relays removed. Before continuing to coils and fuel pump/filter. For reasons of week relay
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: To many lol 230980. Yes when it starts it appears normal.
JA: Are you fixing your Montero yourself? What have you tried so far? Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am fixing it myself I've checked all fuses. And of course with the miles it does burn some oil
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If no codes are setting then odds are you're not losing spark. Nearly anything causing a loss of spark should set a fault code. Odds are you're losing fuel pressure, assuming the engine controller is actually awake at the time the problem happens.

Do you hear the pump run when the key is first turned on during the no start period?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No I dont. Ambiant temps were warmer car started all day back to back drove around about 10 miles no problems. After drive shut down and let cool, no start condition now apparent. First try extreme rough run at curb idle, contiuouse attempts only reveal shorter periods of rough idle upon dying.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 15 days ago.

Do you have an actual scan tool to see if the ECM will communicate during the no start period?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Actual scan tool..Such as a star computer ? No I have an actron auto scanner plus. In no start condition scanner communicates and I'm able to view pids

Are you able to see live data while it doesn't start? Throttle position, cam and crank signals present while cranking, etc?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Able to view tps% unable to see cam or crank signal. But Car wouldn't have spark if no crank signal. As you said it would register dtc if lacking spark. Correct ? If so Leads me to fuel or air. No maf light or code so I assume fuel. Which contains multiple parts fuel relay,evap canister, pump, filter, regulator, control module ect.. This is where my confusion comes into play because I don't want to just throw parts at it. After all I purchased the car for a buck. Lol

It should set a code if it's losing spark but it can't be taken for granted. Can you check for spark?