Cary York
Cary York,
Experience:  Auto Tech at Certified Auto Repair
94946450

Sunroof wont open completely. It will go in vent mode, but

Customer Question

Sunroof wont open completely. It will go in vent mode, but not fully open.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2000 galant especially 2.4l
JA: Are you fixing your Galant yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't dug into it yet it's raining today. Just mess around with the buttons is all I can do for now.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yeah if press the button back to open fully, the sunroof will duck down to try and open is that the it should be. Or does open from vent mode?
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did a little more searching and I'm guessing mines a moonroof rather than a sunroof. Because mine attempts to go under the roof between the liner.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But it only goes as far as moving down then stops right before going back.
Expert:  Cary York replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Let me sure I understand. If you try to open the moon roof completely it will open part way then stop and close automatically by itself?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Almost, but what it does. It will dip down and start retracting, but right before it does it stop. It doesn't close by itself at all. Until I hit the switch.

Sounds like it is binding and the motor stops and retracts. The motor/module has an amp limiter so that if the amperage spikes it shuts of and in some cases will go into reverse. To prevent injury if your hand, etc. was it the way. There could be a lot of reasons it could bind. I did not see any service bulletins for this issue. Here is a diagram of the track and glass assy. As you can see lots of moving parts to bind.

Remember if you rate me we can still continue the discussion.