350matt
350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons 22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

Have a 2005 mitsubishi eclipse gt Have low idle stalls at

Customer Question

have a 2005 mitsubishi eclipse gt Have low idle stalls at cold start, mechanic says i need air control valve
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: no check engine light on. car stalls at idle not at 10mph or above
JA: Are you fixing your Eclipse yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, received 1 estimate so far for an air control valve
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  350matt replied 8 months ago.

Hello

before just replacing the idle with new then its well worth cleaning it as they often get stuck / jammed with carbon build up

admittedly if left too long like this then they can burn out

this image shows the components of the throttle system

its also well worth checking for an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane or brake cleaner around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Expert:  350matt replied 8 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you