Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I need to change the starter, Yes. I got it diagnosed and

Customer Question

I need to change the starter
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: Yes. I got it diagnosed and the starter is bad
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2007 outlander
JA: Are you fixing your Outlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tiered anything yet. Trying to find instructions on how to
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need instruction.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

Ok, first, diisconnect the battery, then you remove the starter from the bottom of the vehicle, so you want it jacked up or on car ramps/jack stands. Remove the retaining pins and bolts and pull down the under cover splash guard that is underneath the front of the vehicle.

The starter is on the engine facing the radiator. You will remove the one nut and one bolt for the starter cover and pull it off. Then disconnect the harness connectors to the starter, then remove the 2 bolts for the starter and remove starter. Install new one in reverse procedure.

Diagrams are attached for you showing you bolt and retainer locations

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What type of tools do I need?
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

Nothing unusual. 8mm thru 14mm sockets, ratchet, 6" socket extension (these are all in a basic metric socket set). Pliers for pulling the retaining pins for the under cover piece, and I believe a phillips head screwdriver for one screw on the starter. That is it

Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.