Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander. It is having an issue

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander. It is having an issue with its headlights. The low beams do not work, but the high beams do. 1 low beam headlight went out and then about a week later the second one went out. The high beams and low beams have power in the fuse box. However, the low beams always have power when the high beams or the low beams are on. The high beams which function correctly only have power when they are turned on. Any idea what might cause this? Is it the column switch or the ECU?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Yes and yes
JA: Are you fixing your Outlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm fixing it myself. We replaced the small box that is in the engine fuse panel that triggers the headlights. That did not make a difference. And we replace the headlight switch also did not help
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that pretty much covers it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have not replaced the headlight switch, that was supposed to say we replaced the headlights as in the bulbs themselves
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

This would either mean the column switch or the Front ECU but only way to know for sure is with scantool capable of monitoring headlight status. If headlights are commanded on but not turning on then front ECU is problem. If status is not on then problem is column switch. The ECU is the more likely cause but you need capable scantool to do testing to know for sure. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When you say ECU do you mean that small box that's in the engine fuse panel that powers the headlight fuses?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's labeled as a front ECU, so I'm guess that's what you're referring to
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

That is correct, here is a picture. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Something definitely seems out of whack here. The low beam fuse has power all the time even when the switch is off. There is no key in the ignition and yet it always has 12 volts.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have a used front ECU that we put in but it did not help. The low beam headlights still do not work. So we put the original front ECU back in it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll get back to you if I need any more help. A little more research on my part would have simplified things. This is a friends car I'm working on and he told me they replace the bulbs. I just pulled the bulbs and both bulbs are bad. Still not sure why the fuse would be powered all the time when the switch is turned off but I'm going to replace what I know is bad currently and see what that does. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Good to hear it is working like it should, my first thought was bulbs but I didn't want to recommend them if they were just replaced. Thanks for update.