Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

2000 galant 4 cyl. Getting codes P0335 Crankshaft Position

Customer Question

2000 galant 4 cyl. Getting codes P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A circuit, and now P1610 Immobilizer. Is this a 'replace the crankshaft position sensor'?
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: stalls,. Won't start, then will after a couple minutes.
JA: Are you fixing your Galant yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Friends car.....broke college kid. I'm looking to fix it for him. I have good skills and a 4 post lift.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NOPE nope
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. are you getting rpms while cranking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, took a long time to work thru the system to get here. Not my car. Don't know if tach is working during cranking (I think that's your question). Again, it will start and run. Sometimes has to wait to start it

what im wondering is if you are getting rpms at the times it doesnt start.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll ask, but he just texted me he took another car today. Am sure he won't know if it did, will have to try starting it tonight. Can you give me advise on it for both answers (RPMS or not)?

no rpms= crank sensor or wiring to it

The P1610 is indicating a malfunction in the immobilizer which almost always will require a tow.

The code specifically says that there is a communication fault between the engine computer and the immobilizer computer, however it is possible to throw this code if you are using either a regular non-immobilizer key or an immobilizer key that is not programmed or lost programming.

Is there any back story to how this problem came to be? Was a new key made for the car or anything like that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll check

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Owner says he's pretty certain no RPMs when cranking. If we replace the crankshaft sensor, is that likely to allow the car to run? Says he's got multiple keys and none work better than others.

if there is no rpms during cranking. its almost always a crank sensor issue. in very few cases the cam sensor is the problem, but not in my opinion. the crank sensor reads the reluctor and sends the signal to the pcm to fire the injectors....go ahead and replace it.

any update?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Going to swap out the Crankshaft Position Sensor Wednesday evening. Will let you know.

ok thanks

hows it going?