peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I own a 2000 Montero Sport XLS 4x4 with 217,000 miles.

Customer Question

I own a 2000 Montero Sport XLS 4x4 with 217,000 miles. Yesterday after a 60-mile round-trip, the break pedal became stiff. I was concerned and pulled over. My anti-lock and 4-wheel green light were both visible. (My brake light is always on). I let the car cool; slowly noticing the return of brake pedal flexibility and tested short distances until I felt safe to drive the mile or so home. Recently, I've also experienced transmission jerking violently; especially when put into reverse. This also occurs after the vehicle is hot. My main concerns: Safety and cost. Thanks!
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: I asked my husband to do that... I'll have to confirm that myself.
JA: Are you fixing your Montero Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I'm not mechanically inclined; I'll have to take this to a mechanic if this goes beyond checking fluid.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'd like to check the brake fluid first before anyone else gets involved. Thanks.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The issue with the brake pedal becoming stiff can be a result of a failing brake master cylinder or anti lock brake hydraulic unit in allot of cases.Since these lights have come on here what has to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set in the anti lock brake computer with a compatible scan tool.Once this is done this will help in diagnosing and locating the fault.I have seen both of these cause a fault like this here.

As for the transmission issue with a jerking feel this may be a fault with either a transmission mount wear if it is one sudden jerk or if it is repeated jerks this can be a fault with a component like the transmission valve body.In some cases debris builds up in the valve body blocking or restricting ports and causing valve control issues which can cause a fault like this here as well.This will have to be checked into/tested further to pinpoint the cause and may require special transmission repair equipment to do this.

As for the safety I dont recommend driving it until the brake issue is found and repaired.The cost for both of these here can vary all depending on what is at fault ranging from around $400 to maybe over $1500 to repair both issues.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete