Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

I have a 2005 Endeavor AWD with 190,000 kilometers.

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a 2005 Endeavor AWD with 190,000 kilometers. Recently, it has been slow to engage from park into reverse or drive and it happens more frequently in the colder weather. It hesitates for a couple of seconds before engaging. I took it to the shop and had the fluid flushed and replaced and now the problem is worse. I'm considering an additive like Lucas Trans to help with the problem. I would appreciate your advise before I go ahead with this. I am concerned that the transmission is about to fail but would like to avoid having to replace it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.
Hey there, thanks for the question.A long delay when shifting into a forward or reverse gear is certainly a cause for concern and putting in an additive might do more harm then good if you have a fresh fluid change.What usually causes this is pressure loss in the transmission because of a worn seal. The pressure bleed off prevents the internal clutches from operating immediately and instead it delays while building pressure.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, thanks for the reply. What do you suggest I do to resolve the issue. I will note that this problem did not exist prior to the fluid change.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

it isn't any surprise that the issue started AFTER the fluid change IF it was flushed. It's fairly common for the flushing and solvent to actually cause minor seal leaks once all the debris and clutch material is flushed out. If a transmission is not flushed regularly then I never recommend flushing just a fluid exchange.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Resolving the issue at this point is not going to be achieved very easily. You likely may be able to drive like this for awhile before the transmission gets worse, but repairing it will involve opening the transmission and their really are no cheap easy options once you get to that point to be honest.