Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner, 27 year Import technician

IF AVAILABLE OR Mitsubishi Mechanic.I have a 2002 Mitsubishi

Customer Question

DOUG IF AVAILABLE OR Mitsubishi Mechanic.I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero / Pajaro that I'm trying to remove & replace the cruise control lever to get the cruise system going.., Can you give me instructions on how to remove the airbag safely. I can't seem to find the bolts to pull the airbag
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

The torx screws are on either side of the steering wheel - roughly at the 3 and 9 oclock positions

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What size torex works Eric. Can you give me a step by step way to pull the bag & replace the lever saftly?? Thanks Bill
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Mitsubishi doesnt give the torx bit size in the service manual and it has been awhile since I have removed one, but if memory serves it is a T10

I have uploaded directions to remove the airbag, steering wheel and clockspring in pdf file format for you. Once all that is off, there are 2 screws to remove for the cruise control level

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I see the one at 9 but im having trouble finding the one at 3
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Eric did you get my last about getting the wheel off, but still not finding a way to remove the airbag & to get to the lever ??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the ," limited" model 2002 Montara
Expert:  Greg replied 30 days ago.

Hi William .

The steering wheel on your Truck has only one bolt and its a hex bit 8m and needs to be 3inch or longer .

as shown in the Diagram attached just loosen off then pull steering wheel towards you come out easy ,

Steering comes out complete with airbag ,ones the wheel is out then the airbag can be removed to get to the switch.

For the airbag procedure disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes before disconnecting the steering wheel .

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating this issue .
Kind regards Greg

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
DOUG ONLY : hey Doug im having one heck of a time getting the steering whell off again to fit the horn connection. Turn the hex to the left until i feel it click off the last thread but wheel will not come off
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi Greg. I was able to remove the steering wheel a 1st time but when I tried again the wheel wont come off at all KI loosened the nut till it spins so what might be holding it up. ??