Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30+ years practical experience in all types of repair and trouble shooting on Mitu's

I am trying to see what would cause my battery to drain out

Customer Question

Hello, I am trying to see what would cause my battery to drain out of no where outside of the alternator...
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I had my battery tested not even 30 days ago when I got an oil change and my mechanic said it was good.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2002 Mitsubishi galant
JA: Are you fixing your Galant yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Everything has been changed I had a mechanic say my crankshaft may be bad but that wouldn't kill me battery. I've had a full tune up not even 45 days ago. My car just wouldn't crank out of no where on Monday. It's been doing a strange thing with not getting power so they thought it was my catalytic converter but it was tested and good. I really dont know what it could be because I don't have any lights on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I believe that's it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

As long as the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running. You will want to check for a current draw. Normally that is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable and hooking up an amp meter in series with the circuit.

Also can be done with a 12 volt test light. You just go from the battery terminal to the cable end, (disconnected) and see what the draw is or if the light comes on.

The recommendation for maximum parasitic drain is around 30 mA (0.030 amp). A typical drain today actually falls into the 7-12 mA range, even though some vehicles do approach the maximum. Multiply the drain (in amps) by the time (in hours) the battery sits without being recharged. The result is the amount of AH consumed by the parasitic drain. The actual drain may be small, but over time the battery grows steadily weaker.

If so, then you will want to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out, (or meter goes down) and that will be the circuit in which the draw is in. If no fuses being pulled cause it to drop, then unplug the alternator then the starter. They could do it but it's rare.

Just remember to keep the doors closed, (or dome light disabled) and the hood light unplugged,

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.