Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Mitsubishi Galant 2001... overheating when stopped at lights

Customer Question

Mitsubishi Galant 2001 . . . overheating when stopped at lights or stop signs. . . does fine when in driving mode. Any ideas?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: No. I'm a novice at working on cars so I'm at a disadvantage here, but I have looked for signs of leaking oil or coolant and have only seen small drops of oil.
JA: Are you fixing your Galant yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm interested in fixing myself . . . as much as possible before turning over to a shop.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that this is an old car with a persistent history of leaking oil . . . but I think this problem is something different. Thank you for any help you can provide
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Has anything been replaced for this overheating condition up to this point?

Are you looking for possible causes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like to know the possible causes. I have checked the coolant system and I couldn't see any leaks.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Ok, your first step would be to check the coolant level. If it is low or if there is an air pocket in the cooling system, it can and will cause this overheating condition. Be sure to do this when the engine is cold. This is very important. I would recommend to do this in the morning after the vehicle has sat overnight. It may just be low on coolant. If so, you would just need to top it off and that may do the trick.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Some other possible causes are..

Restricted radiator

Blown head gasket

Bad thermostat

Inoperative cooling fan

Collapsed radiator hose

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. I'll give it a try. What type of signs would indicate the overheating problem is caused by a bad thermostat?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

IT could stick open or closed. IF it sticks open, the engine would not warm up at all. If it it stuck closed, it would overheat or run hot at times.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.