Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

The AC compressor and the horn stopped working at the same

Customer Question

Hi, the AC compressor and the horn stopped working at the same time on my 09 Mitsubishi Outlander SLX. The AC compressor and clutch is just over a year old. Do both the compressor and the horn share a fuse? Could a faulty fuse be the problem for both, or what else could it be? A mechanic was referred to me. He look at it and said that the entire compressor needed to be replaced (a $1,300 estimate) as it wasn't getting grounded at the power terminal on the compressor for some reason. Something tells me not to trust him, as the compressor is just over 12 months old (warranty expired a few weeks ago). Please help! Thanks.
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
high and low pressure seems to be good, but AC clutch not engaging. (hope this helps)
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Check all fuses under the hood. Also check the ac compressor relay. You could have a wiring problem to the compressor, you would need to check voltage at the compressor wire with the ac on. A bad ac pressure switch will also prevent the compressor from coming on.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Han can I know if a relay of broken. I removed them all a few days ago and looked at them one by one. they all looked good to me and without any damage. I'll have to check the voltage on the cable to the compressor. How can I check the pressure switch?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
does it cost me $26 each time you answer? if so, then please don't bother and don't change me again.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

No its a one time fee, the site automatically charges you the full question value when you get a reply from an expert.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

The relay should click when you remove and install it with the ac button on and engine running. You should also check voltage at the fuse for the ac compressor.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

If it clicks instantly when you put in the relay in, you know everything is working and telling the compressor to turn on, then you know you either have a wiring problem to the compressor or the compressor itself, if you have power at the compressor then you know the wiring is ok and its for sure the compressor.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, I am a sub contractor for Just Answer and they do not compensate me for my time and resources. I only get compensation from ratings. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks