Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I just replaced the battery in my 2010 Mitsubishi Montero

Customer Question

I just replaced the battery in my 2010 Mitsubishi Montero Sport and now the lights are flashing, doors locking and car won't start. Any ideas what is the problem?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

are you at the vehicle now?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My car is outside.
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

Great, do you have a Key FOB?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am probably going to have someone else assist me if it requires anything under the hood.
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

Well it may not, just depends.

is the battery still installed?

Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

and again, do you have a keyless remote? they are called a key FOB? for locking and unlocking the doors?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but my friend disconnected the positive end to stop the lights from flashing and not run down the new battery. I sprained my wrist recently and won't be able to open the hood without help. There was a service note that appeared on my radio console that said to leave the key switched to "on" but nothing else came up.
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

Yes, but did you have the key to ON position when the battery was connected?

Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

look at the bottom of the dash by the steering column for an alarm bypass button or small flashing light.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we had the key in "on" position, but nothing else ever came onto the radio console. Let me go outside to see if I can find the button.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just checked and there is no button by the steering column - there is the emergency flasher button, which I tried pushing when the lights were flashing, but nothing changed.
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

gotcha, in that case you need to do two things.

first go ahead and connect the battery. When the alarm sounds shut the drivers door and manually unlock it with the key and it should disable.

if for some reason that does not work and the key FOB will not disable it by pressing unlock. Then disconnect the battery again and wait a few minutes. Turn the key to the ON position and reconnect the battery. the alarm should be off and you can start the vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no alarm that sounds - only flashing lights and the doors locking. I'll have my friend come over and try to see if we can get this to work. I am in Costa Rica and live in a village 15 minutes from the closest town - so, no mechanic is nearby to assist me with this. Thanks for your assistance.
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

The doors locking is certainly peculiar, the lights flashing is a common system of the alarm.

To have no issues prior to the battery install though and it not be the alarm would be concerning since headlights and locks are controlled by the etacs unit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried everything you suggested and the car still won't work - lights still flashing and doors still locking when battery is connected. The blurb that comes on the radio console "Please turn the ignition key to the "ON" position to check system is there when the key is in the ignition. But though the key is in the "ON" position, the message does not change.